Blue Jays claim pitcher Todd Redmond off waivers from Orioles

Daniel Shirey-US PRESSWIRE

The Blue Jays have picked up Todd Redmond off waivers from the Baltimore Orioles and have optioned him to Buffalo.

Redmond is a 27 year old, 6'3" right-hander. He's pitched in one major league game. As a minor leaguer, he's pitched 8 seasons, 207 games, 200 starts, 1185 innings, 299 walks and 977 strikeouts. Last year he was 8-11 with a 3.63 ERA in 25 starts between the Braves and Reds Triple-A teams. 149 innings, 150 hits, 18 home runs allow, 39 walks and 136 strikeouts.

Todd pitched in 5 spring games with the Orioles, had a 5.63 ERA in 8 innings, 8 hits, 4 walks, 8 k.

It looks like he'll be used as a starter in Buffalo, and give us a little more depth in case of disaster. It's not a very exciting move, but we had our share of exciting moves earlier in the off-season.

To make room on the 40-man roster, Drew Hutchison has been put on the 60-day DL.

Update: Buffalo's press release tells us:

Redmond has amassed over 100 strikeouts in each of the last four seasons in the International League and has ranked in the Top 5 in each of the past year three years in the circuit. He struck out 142 batters in back-to-back seasons with the Gwinnett Braves, 2010-2011.