Blue Jays 6 Pirates 3: A better start for Ricky Romero, but still not good

Jose Bautista - USA TODAY Sports

Pirates 3 Blue Jays 6

Well, if you want to look at it this way, it was a much better outing for Ricky Romero than his last time out, a minor league start. It still wasn't good, 4.1, 6 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts. 44 of his 75 pitches were strikes. Not good but a big step forward. He was to pitch 6 innings or 90 pitches, but they pulled him before that point. I don't know why. His spring ERA is now 6.23.

Our relievers did a really good job:

  • Darren Oliver finished the 5th for Ricky, and got two quick outs, one a strikeout. 0.00.
  • Dustin McGowan pitched in a major league spring game for the first time this year. Two pop outs and a line out in his quick inning. Hit 93 with his fastball.
  • Marcus Stroman also pitched in his first major league spring game, in his case ever. 2.0, 1 walk, 2 k. Great job.
  • Alex Hinshaw: 1.0, 1 walk. Gets the save. 3.24.
On the offensive side, we had 10 hits. Rajai Davis hit his third home run of the spring, Adam Lind his second.
On the Pirates' side, John McDonald went 0 for 3.

The win moves the Jays spring record to 13-16. This was the last spring game at Dunedin this year. Tomorrow they are off to Port Charlotte to play the Rays.