Blue Jays 6 Rays 1: Grand Slam for Colby Rasmus

No pictures from today, so here is one of the offensive star of the day. - USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 6 Rays 1

That wasn't the start you would have liked to see from J.A. Happ, the day after he is given the 5th starter job. He went 4.2, giving up 4 hits, 4 walks with 4 strikeouts. He did pitch well, once he got into trouble, he only allowed the 1 earned run, but a walk an inning isn't what we'd like to see. He was helped by some timely strikeouts, and some good defense. His spring has been so good, we'll give him a pass for this one. Maybe it was a homage to Ricky. 1.90 spring ERA.

Other pitchers:

  • Esmil Rogers: 1.1, 1 walk, 2 k. 6.94. Looked to be throwing hard, but I didn't hear a radar gun reading.
  • Aaron Loup: 1.0, 1 hits, 1 walk, 2 k.
  • Jeremy Jeffress: 1.0, 1 hit, 2 k. (gameday says that Loup pitched two innings, I'm pretty sure they are wrong, Jeffress pitched on of the innings).
  • Chad Beck: 1.0, 1 k.
On offense, we didn't do much until Jeff Niemann left the game. Niemann went 6 innings allowing just 2 hits and no walks. But we scored 6 runs against Kirby Yates, with the help of a Kelly Johnson error, in the 8th inning. Colby Rasmus had the big hit, a grand slam home run, hit a mile out over the right field wall. He crushed it.
Back in Dunedin, R.A. Dickey pitched 6 innings and says he's ready for the season. Casey Janssen pitched too, and says the same. It sounds like R.A. is backing off, a bit, from saying Arencibia is doing a great job catching him:

On the Rays side, Yunel Escobar had a nice day at the plate, driving in the Rays' run with a triple and adding a single before leaving the game (so lazy, he only plays 4 innings of a game). Kelly Johnson walked in his only plate appearance and booted a double play ball that helped us get those 6 runs in the 8th.
Tomorrow, the Jays take the short bus ride to Clearwater, to play the Philles and then they fly to Philadelphia for 2 games on the weekend and then real baseball starts.