Blue Jays Claim RHP Alex Burnett and 1B Clint Robinson Off Waivers

Alex Burnett - Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

The Blue Jays picked up right-handed pitcher Alex Burnett, from the Twins and first baseman Clint Robinson from the Pirates, both off waivers.

Burnett is 25 and pitched in 67 games for the Twins, last year. He throws a low 90's fastball, slider, curve and change. Here is his career numbers. His strikeout rate keeps dropping. I'm not sure how he managed a 3.52 ERA with just 4.5 k/9, but that's the fun of baseball. Looks to be depth and someone that could do a good job in Buffalo.

He got hit pretty hard this spring, 15 hits, 6 walk, 1 k, in 8.1 innings

Year Age Tm W L ERA G GF SV IP H ER HR BB SO HBP WP ERA+ WHIP HR/9 BB/9 SO/9
2010 22 MIN 2 2 5.29 41 11 0 47.2 52 28 6 23 37 2 2 77 1.573 1.1 4.3 7.0
2011 23 MIN 2 5 5.51 66 12 0 50.2 50 31 4 21 33 8 2 74 1.401 0.7 3.7 5.9
2012 24 MIN 4 4 3.52 67 18 0 71.2 71 28 4 26 36 3 6 116 1.353 0.5 3.3 4.5
3 Yrs 8 11 4.61 174 41 0 170.0 173 87 14 70 106 13 10 88 1.429 0.7 3.7 5.6
162 Game Avg. 3 4 4.61 68 16 0 66 68 34 5 27 41 5 4 88 1.429 0.7 3.7 5.6
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 3/29/2013.

Clint Robinson is a big first baseman, 6'5", 230. He had 4 at bats for the Royals last year. He has pretty good minor league numbers. He hit .292/.393/.452, with 13 home runs in a 131 games for Omaha last year. In 2010 he hit 29 home runs in Double-A. He's a left-handed batter, 28 years old. More depth, in case of an injury or a melt down from Adam Lind.

He had 4 hits, 1 double, in 20 spring at bats.

To make room on the roster the Jays DFA Lars Anderson. I guess they figure Robinson is better than Anderson. Maybe Lars will get through waivers and both will play for Buffalo.