2013 New Blue Jays Uniform Number Assignments - Updated

Andy LaRoche #70 - USA TODAY Sports

Since there were several roster changes since I last posted this in early January, I have updated the list of all the uniform number changes since last year.

Uniform #
2013
2012

1

Emilio Bonifacio – Newly acquired player, has worn #1 with the Marlins since 2009

Not issued (Luis Valbuena wore it during Spring Training)

2

Ryan Goins – New addition to the 40-man roster, wore #67 in Spring Training 2012.

Kelly Johnson

3

Maicer Izturis – Newly acquired player, has worn #13 with the Angels since 2006.

Adeiny Hechavarria

5

John Gibbons – Manager, wore #5 when he managed the Blue Jays (2004-2008), wore #58 as a coach (2002-2004), wore #8, #35, and #7 as a player with the Mets (1984-1986).

Yunel Escobar

6

A.J. Jimenez – New addition to the 40-man roster, wore #71 in Spring Training 2012.

Jeff Mathis

7

Jose Reyes – Newly acquired player, has worn #7 for his entire career.

Torey Lovullo

8

Anthony Gose – Gave up #43 for R.A. Dickey.

Ben Francisco, Yorvit Torrealba

15

Mike Nickeas - Non-roster invitee, has worn #13 and #4 with the Mets.

Not issued (Travis d'Arnaud wore it during Spring Training)

16

DeMarlo Hale – Bench coach, wore #45 with the Baltimore Orioles in 2012 and #35 when he was with the Red Sox.

Not issued

17

Ryan Langerhans - Non-roster invitee.

Omar Vizquel (and Brett Lawrie for the final game of the season)

20

Ricardo Nanita - Non-roster invitee, wore #33 for the 51s.

Jesse Chavez, Bobby Korecky

22

Henry Blanco. He has worn nine different uniform numbers in his career, but never 22. He last wore #12 with the Diamondbacks.

Don Wakamatsu

25

Dwayne Murphy – First base coach, has also worn #21 and #41 in his Blue Jays coaching career.

Not issued (Chris Woodward wore it during Spring Training)

30

Josh Thole – Newly acquired player, has worn #30 for his entire career.

David Cooper

31

Michael Schwimer – Recently acquired on Feb. 23. The number was first assigned to the injured David Cooper, who gave up #30 for Josh Thole.

Brandon Lyon

32

Esmil Rogers – Newly acquired player, wore #48 with the Rockies (2009-2012), and #32 with the Indians (2012). Note: channel 32 is Sportsnet on Rogers Cable where I live. Hmmmm...

Aaron Laffey

33

Jeremy Jeffress – Newly acquired player, has worn #41 for his entire career.

Carlos Villanueva

34

Ramon Ortiz – Non-roster invitee. Would be fun to see an Ortiz wearing #34 with the Blue Jays...

Joel Carreno

35

Mark DeRosa – Newly acquired player, primarily wore #7 in his career.

Sam Dyson

37

Neil Wagner – Non-roster invitee.

Henderson Alvarez

39

Chad Mottola – Hitting Coach, wore #39 as the hitting coach for the Las Vegas 51s. Wore #21 and #22 during his two playing stints with the Blue Jays.

Drew Carpenter, David Carpenter

41

Pat Hentgen – Bullpen Coach, wore #41 for his entire playing career and his coaching stint with the Blue Jays in 2011.

Dwayne Murphy

43

R.A. Dickey – Newly acquired player, wore #43 with the Mets, has also worn #51, #45, #41, and #39.

Anthony Gose

45

Claudio Vargas – Non-roster invitee, previously wore #45 with the Nationals and Diamondbacks (2005)

Travis Snider, Shawn Hill

51

Alex Hinshaw – Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Jesse Litsch wore it during Spring Training)

52

Justin Germano – Non-roster invitee.

John Farrell

53

Melky Cabrera – Newly acquired player, has worn #53 since 2009, also has worn #39 and #28.

Bruce Walton

54

Dave Bush - Non-roster invitee, wore #49 for his first tour with Toronto (2004-2005), then #31 with the Brewers, and #47 with the Rangers.

Jason Frasor

55

Josh Johnson – Newly acquired player, has worn #55 for his entire career

Brian Butterfield

56

Mark Buehrle – Newly acquired player, has worn #56 for his entire career

Robert Coello, Ryota Igarashi

57

Juan Perez – Non-roster invitee.

Scott Richmond

58

Luis Jimenez – Non-roster invitee.

Chad Beck

59

Jim Negrych – Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Jim Hoey wore it during Spring Training)

60

Chad Beck – Recently outrighted off the 40-man roster, now a non-roster invitee. Wore #58 last season.

Not issued (Rick Vandenhurk wore it during Spring Training)

66

Rich Thompson – Non-roster invitee, wore #63 with the Angels (2007-2012) and #54 with the Athletics (2012).

Not issued (Mike McDade wore it during Spring Training)

68

Ryan Schimpf – Non-roster invitee.

Yan Gomes

69

Sean Ochinko – Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Drew Hutchison wore it during Spring Training)

70

Andy LaRoche – Non-roster invitee, has worn #10, #28, #15, and #21.

Not issued (Chad Jenkins wore it during Spring Training)

71

Sean Nolin – Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (A.J. Jimenez wore it during Spring Training)

72

Adam Loewen – Non-roster invitee, wore #39 in his stint with the Blue Jays in 2011.

Not issued (Deck McGuire wore it during Spring Training)

73

Lance Zawadzki – Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Carlos Perez wore it during Spring Training)

74

John Stilson – Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Moises Sierra wore it during Spring Training)

75

Tommy Hottovy – Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Ryan Tepera wore it during Spring Training)

76

Jack Murphy – Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Jerry Gil wore it during Spring Training)

77

Mickey Storey – Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Scott Richmond wore it during Spring Training)

79

Lars Anderson – Newly acquired player, wore #44 and #62 in his stints with the Boston Red Sox.

Not issued

Sources: 2012 Toronto Blue Jays Official Guide, Baseball-Reference.com, BlueJays.com.

In This Article

Teams
Players