Blue Jay Injury Updates

Colby - USA TODAY Sports

The worry of spring training is that players will get injured. And, with the season we just went through, we are a little overly sensitive about injuries. Pitchers always have soreness in the second week of spring training. Or at least that's what I'm going to tell myself.

  • Brett Lawrie: Not really sure if this is an injury yet. He left yesterday's Team Canada exhibition game with a 'minor twinge' in his side. We'll likely hear later today if it is any more serious. With Brett's hockey mentality, I don't think he'd come out of a game unless it was a little bit more than just a 'twinge'. We'll see.
  • Colby Rasmus: Colby has a sore right shoulder. He was supposed to be back for today's game but he isn't. Now the plan is for him to play by the end of the weekend. I'm going to start worrying about him if we don't see him in a game by Wednesday or so.
  • Sergio Santos: For Sergio the sore part is his right triceps. He had an MRI and, the Jays say, it clean back clean. Pitchers generally have soreness at some point of the spring. I'll worry if he isn't pitching by the middle of next week.
  • Casey Janssen: Not totally recovered from shoulder surgery last November. Had a bullpen session earlier this week and it went well. I'll feel better about him when he pitches in a game. Casey threw in the bullpen again this morning and all sounds good.
  • Dustin McGowan: Had a 'setback' early in spring. Has thrown off the mound a couple of times in the last week. I very much doubt he'll be ready to go for opening day, but an injury rehab assignment might be the best thing for him and for the team. I wonder what the Vegas odds are for him ever pitching again for the Jays?
  • David Cooper: Back injury, out indefinably.
  • Chad Jenkins: Sore right shoulder, "no structural damage".
  • Kyle Drabek, Drew Hutchison and Luis Perez: All recovering from Tommy John surgeries, all within a couple of weeks of each other, we get a bulk rate. I wouldn't expect to see any of them before mid-season at best.

I hope no one else was injury while I was typing this.

Latest News

In This Article

Teams
Players