Blue Jays Spring Training: Battle for the Bullpen, Two Weeks In

USA TODAY Sports

Our second look at the Jays bullpen battle, 14 games into the spring.

Casey Janssen still hasn't pitched, though he has thrown off the mound, a couple of times. They say all is good, but if we don't see him in a game by the middle of next week, I doubt he'll start the season with the team.

Sergio Santos has been sitting out with 'tricep soreness'. Arm soreness is a normal thing for pitchers in the middle of spring training, but he has been sitting for a while now. I hope we'll see him back in a game by early next week. He was looking good. 3 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned, 1 walks, 3 k.

The Lefties:

Darren Oliver: I wonder if there is a chance he'll get some save opportunities, if Santos and Janssen can't start the season. He's had 3 innings, 3 hits, 0 walks, 1 k, 0 earned.

Brett Cecil: I'm really thinking Cecil is on the bubble, he has no options left, but if the team decides they would be better with someone else, I think they would be willing to chance losing him. In 4 games, he's gone 6 innings, 9 hits, 5 earned, 1 home run, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts. He has been throwing a little harder than the last couple of seasons.

Aaron Loup: By the sounds of things, Gibbons really likes Loup for the LOOGY role. He's pitched 4 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned, 1 home run, 0 walks, 3 k.

J.A. Happ: J is going to end up in the rotation at Buffalo, unless something bad happens. He's pitched 6.0 innings, 9 hits, 2 earned, 0 walks, 3 k and 1 arm broken.

Alex Hinshaw: Will be in Buffalo. Has pitched 4 innings, 2 hits, 3 earned, 3 walks, 3 k.

Evan Crawford: Had a really poor appearance this week, only got 1 out, gave up 2 hits, 2 earned and a walk. Add that to the one clean inning he had the week before and he's gone 1.1, with a 13.50 ERA.

The Righties:

Steve Delabar: Didn't have a great first week, but this past week was good. In total 4.2 innings, 6 hits, 3 earned, 1 home run, 1 walk, 4 k.

Esmil Rogers: He had a really bad game, earlier this week, 3 home runs and 4 earned runs in an inning. Wilner and Hayhurst were saying that he was tipping his pitches. He had a scoreless inning today, with 2 k, so maybe he fixed the problem. In total 5.0, 7 hits, 5 earned, 3 home runs, 2 walks, 7 k.

Jeremy Jeffress: Out of options. Has to show well to make the team, but would be helped if Janssen can't start the season. His first week wasn't good, but the past week has been. He pitched 2.1 today, allowing just a single, a unearned run with 3 strikeouts. In total 6.1, 6 hits, 3 earned, 1 home run, 2 walks, 8 strikeouts. He was at 98 on the radar gun today. It looks like they are stretching him out for a long man role.

Brad Lincoln: Was to be in the rotation in Buffalo, but Gibbons has said they have changed their minds, again, figuring he'd be better served as a reliever. He has an option that will work against him. He's pitched twice, started once. He hasn't looked great, 2.2 innings, 7 hits, 4 earned, 3 walks, 1 k.

Michael Schwimer: Has an option, will be in Buffalo. 3.0, 2 hits, 1 earned, 1 home run, 2 walks, 4 k.

Ryan Thompson: Our Australian. He's pitched 2 innings, gave up 2 hits, 2 walks, 1 k, no runs. Didn't pitch this week.

Chad Beck: 4.0, 3 hits, 1 earned, 6 strikeouts. Anther that will be in Buffalo, but you gotta like 6 k and no walks.

Justin Germano: 7 innings, 11 hits, 6 earned, 8 strikeouts. Didn't help himself this week, though one of the games he was in, the defense made 2 errors behind him. He'll be in the rotation in Buffalo.

Neil Wagner: 4.2 innings, 4 hits, 3 earned, 1 walk, 6 k. Another that's likely to be in Buffalo. We are getting a lot of strikeouts from our pen.

Ramon Ortiz: 4 innings, 6 hits, 3 earned, 1 home run, 3 walks, 2 k. Hasn't been impressive.

Tommy Hottovy: 2.2, 6 hits, 1 earned, 5 k.

Dave Bush: 4.0 innings, 1 hit, 1 home runs, 2 earned, 2 walks, 2 k.

Chad Jenkins: 1 inning, 3 hits, 1 earned, 2 k. No real chance he'll make the team out of spring, but he'll want to make an impression on the new coaches. He was shut down for the week but is supposed to be ready to pitch by now.

I figured we'd have cut some of these guys by now, but not yet. I'm sure that by this time next week some will be gone.