FanPost

Looking at the Blue Jays Infield

Continuing my foray into what Alex Anthopoulos looks for in a player - BB% and SO% - I'm delving into a look at the Blue Jays infield to get a glimpse of each players' numbers. Second Base was already looked at here to determine who should be the Blue Jays starter at the position.

First Base - Edwin Encarnacion

Year Age Tm Lg PA SO% BB% SO/BB
2005 22 CIN NL 234 25.6% 8.6% 3.00
2006 23 CIN NL 467 16.7% 8.8% 1.90
2007 24 CIN NL 560 15.4% 7.0% 2.21
2008 25 CIN NL 582 17.5% 10.5% 1.67
2009 26 TOT MLB 338 19.8% 11.0% 1.81
2009 26 CIN NL 165 23.0% 14.6% 1.58
2009 26 TOR AL 173 16.8% 7.5% 2.23
2010 27 TOR AL 367 16.4% 7.9% 2.07
2011 28 TOR AL 530 14.5% 8.1% 1.79
2012 29 TOR AL 644 14.6% 13.0% 1.12
8 Yrs 3722 16.8% 9.5% 1.76
MLB Averages 17.8% 8.4% 2.12
2012 really showed how Encarnacion (or E5 as many endearingly call him) maintained his very good SO% and but made huge strides in his BB% and therefore had a career best SO/BB ratio. His OBP was a 100 points better than his batting average which always shows the mark of a good eye while his .557 SLG was far and away his best ever by a wide margin. While we may think he might not duplicate his power numbers from a year ago, his BABIP was only .266 - well below the league average of between .290 to .310.

Shortstop - Jose Reyes

Year Age Tm Lg PA SO% BB% SO/BB
2003 20 NYM NL 292 12.3% 4.5% 2.77
2004 21 NYM NL 229 13.5% 2.2% 6.20
2005 22 NYM NL 733 10.6% 3.7% 2.89
2006 23 NYM NL 703 11.5% 7.5% 1.53
2007 24 NYM NL 765 10.2% 10.1% 1.01
2008 25 NYM NL 763 10.8% 8.7% 1.24
2009 26 NYM NL 166 11.5% 10.8% 1.06
2010 27 NYM NL 603 10.5% 5.1% 2.03
2011 28 NYM NL 586 7.0% 7.3% 0.95
2012 29 MIA NL 716 7.8% 8.8% 0.89
10 Yrs 5556 10.2% 7.1% 1.43
MLB Averages 17.6% 8.4% 2.09
Wow, take out those first three years and look at those SO/BB ratios including the past two years - under 1.0!!! If that isn't enough to start you drooling, I dunno what is. Plus when Reyes gets on-base, he swipes bags successfully at a career clip of 74.9% making him an awfully dangerous weapon in the lead-off spot.

Third Base - Brett Lawrie

Year Age Tm Lg PA SO% BB% SO/BB
2011 21 TOR AL 171 18.1% 9.4% 1.94
2012 22 TOR AL 536 16.0% 6.2% 2.61
2 Yrs 707 16.6% 6.9% 2.39
MLB Averages 19.2% 8.1% 2.39
Yes Brett Lawrie had quite the 150 AB's to start his young career and expectations soared on him. He wasn't quite the superstar we expected him to be last year but he's a young kid and maybe we can chalk it up to a sophomore slump. Regardless I think fans are looking for him to improve upon his .324 OBP and .405 SLG from last year because he really dropped off in his power production and in his ability to earn a walk. I don't think it's too far fetched to wish for a 20/20 season from Brett, but I'm sure if we were to ask him he'll have his sights on numbers far beyond that.
Catcher - J.P. Arencibia
Year Age Tm Lg PA SO% BB% SO/BB
2010 24 TOR AL 37 29.7% 5.4% 5.50
2011 25 TOR AL 486 27.4% 7.4% 3.69
2012 26 TOR AL 372 29.0% 4.8% 6.00
3 Yrs 895 28.2% 6.3% 4.50
MLB Averages 19.0% 8.2% 2.31
In his two+ years thus far, J.P. has shown a way above average ability to strikeout including quite the propensity to not take a walk as shown by his .275 career OBP. Subsequently his SO/BB ratio sucks. Still, what makes him attractive as a catcher is his ability to hit the long ball and that much has been consistent as indicative by a SLG of .438 and .435 the past two years.

DH - Adam Lind

Year Age Tm Lg PA SO% BB% SO/BB
2006 22 TOR AL 65 18.5% 7.7% 2.40
2007 23 TOR AL 311 20.9% 5.1% 4.06
2008 24 TOR AL 349 16.9% 4.6% 3.69
2009 25 TOR AL 654 16.8% 8.9% 1.90
2010 26 TOR AL 613 23.5% 6.2% 3.79
2011 27 TOR AL 542 19.7% 5.9% 3.34
2012 28 TOR AL 353 17.3% 8.2% 2.10
7 Yrs 2887 19.3% 6.7% 2.88
MLB Averages 18.0% 8.5% 2.13
Just look at Adam's stats last year and compare them to his break-out year in 2009. Yes, his plate appearances were cut in half due to being sent down for a month and then due to injury, but these metrics are nearly the same as when he hit .305/.370/.562 in 2009! That's tremendously encouraging! Maybe Lind can have another good year and actually earn his option of $7M in 2014.