Blue Jays Claim Casper Wells, Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment

Meet the newest Blue Jay - Otto Greule Jr

Peter Gammons has tweeted that the Blue Jays have claimed Casper Wells who was designated for assignment by the Mariners on March 31st.

Here's what mlbtraderumors had to say about Wells:

"Wells, 28, came the Mariners from Detroit as part of the Doug Fister trade. In 432 plate appearances for the M's, Wells hit .225/.304/.406 with 17 home runs. Wells is capable of playing all three outfield positions and has abused left-handed pitching to the tune of a .264/.349/.489 batting line."

Sounds like some outfield depth in a similar mould as Rajai Davis and possibly the end of the eight man bullpen. A roster move will have to be made for Wells to stay on the Blue Jays, especially when Brett Lawrie comes back. The way I see it, Edgar Gonzalez would be the most likely candidate to be designated for assignment.

Here's how the roster moves will shake down according to Shi Davidi:

UPDATE (by Minor Leaguer)

Barry Davis reported that Casper Wells will join the team in Kansas City tomorrow. Edgar Gonzalez is gonzo.

Also: play this Sporcle game.