Brief Forgetful Friday April 12, 2013 Links

This really says it all about Yesterday. - Leon Halip

Yesterday's game? What game? I don't know of any games the Jays played yesterday. Fake amnesia aside, this is one of those times where I am glad that work is keeping me from watching games like yesterday's game. It's either I post up some links or I will just write about how crappy my fantasy teams have been.

GAME RECAP

Are you kidding?

JAYS LINKS

Nicholson-Smith: Jays facing lots of velocity - Sportsnet.ca
The Blue Jays are seeing lots of velocity early on after games against some of the league’s hard-throwing pitchers. Sportsnet.ca has the details.

The Blue Jay Hunter
Ian looks at the last Blue Jay win.

MLB LINKS

The Perfect Two-Headed Monster: Theoretical Performance of an All-Platoon Team - Beyond the Box Score
Using Platoon Score we locate players at affordable prices that would provide great value in duos. Then we assemble an entire lineup of 18 players rotating according to handedness.

A Look Into the Mist: Pitcher Defense - Beyond the Box Score
Analyzing pitching is nothing without defense! Pitchers contribute to their own causes through their defensive abilities, and that should be accounted for.

The Continuing Rise in Strikeout Rate | FanGraphs Baseball
Dave Cameron looks at the increase in K rate over the last decade.

If Only History Went Down This Smoothly. 42, Reviewed.
People go to inspirational sports movies not in spite of their predictability but because of it. Other than romantic comedies, there's no other genre so dependent on the fact that you know exactly how they're going to play out. It doesn't help that they're usually based on true stories. These movies–Remember the Titans, Hoosiers, Glory Road, The Express–want to get our juices flowing and comfort us at the same time. Actual sports (not to mention real life) have so much agony and uncertainty wrapped up in them that you can understand why people like watching movies where the underdogs always win or the racists always lose.

Huh? New study links home-run hitting to face size | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
From the blog Big League Stew: Not to get all "Today" show on you, but there's a new study published by two scientists out of London linking a baseball player's ability to hit home runs with his face size.

It took a fortune to assemble the 2013 Los Angeles Dodgers, and it may take many more millions to turn them into a championship-caliber team - Grantland
It took a fortune to assemble the 2013 Los Angeles Dodgers, and it may take many more millions to turn them into a championship-caliber team.

Derek Jeter's Diary: Pottery Is No Substitute for Baseball - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
The baseball season is a long and lonely road. To preserve his sanity, Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter keeps a diary* *with unicorns and rainbows on the cover?

Roster Doctor: The Unpredictability of Closers, NL Edition - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
Last year, Jason Motte was one of the best and most reliable closers in the game, racking up 42 saves, nearly 11 strikeouts per nine innings, and a 2.75 ERA.

$2.8 Million Honus Wagner Card, Subject of 30 for 30 Short Holy Grail, Was Altered - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
The world's most famous baseball card is now officially tainted. Note: I'm shocked that sports memorabilia is tainted... not really.

TODAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY

Baseball History - April 12th - National Pastime - Baseball History
2001 The Blue Jays-Royals game is postponed as a result of large sections of SkyDome's dome falling onto the field during testing of the stadium's retractable roof.

Note: For some reason, this seemed kind of fitting today.