Brett Lawrie Activated, Sergio Santos Placed on 15-Day Disabled List

US PRESSWIRE

This is truly a good news / bad news story, as the Toronto Blue Jays activate one player from the disabled list, but simultaneously put another one on. After a 4-3 win over the Chicago White Sox, Shi Davidi revealed that third baseman Brett Lawrie will be back with the team on Tuesday however, in order to make room for him on the roster, reliever Sergio Santos was placed on the 15-day DL with a triceps strain.

Santos last pitched on Saturday against the Royals, going into the game in the eighth inning. He walked the leadoff hitter but then followed it up with a strikeout and fly out. With lefty Mike Moustakas up, John Gibbons came out to call on Brett Cecil to finish the inning. Santos has appeared in five games this season, just one fewer than his total from 2012 before he sustained a season-ending shoulder injury.

Lawrie suffered a left rib-cage injury during a World Baseball Classic exhibition game when he was playing for Team Canada this spring. The injury forced him to sit out the entire tournament and prevented him from going north with the team after spring training. He had been rehabbing with the Dunedin Blue Jays for the past week, and for the last couple of games he was moved to second base just to try out the position. John Gibbons expects that Lawrie will be returning to his familiar third base home on Tuesday, with Jose Bautista starting in right field.

The Blue Jays are back down to a seven-man bullpen.