Buffalo Bisons Clobber, Crush, Cream the Syracuse Chiefs, 27-9

Coca-Cola Field, not where this game was played. - Minor Leaguer

This afternoon the Buffalo Bisons, AAA-affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays, destroyed the Syracuse Chiefs, the Washington Nationals' AAA team, 27-9 in International League action. Yes, the score was 27-9, and no they weren't playing football, and no they weren't even playing in the Pacific Coast League. According to the club's tweets, they have set several modern-era records: by scoring 27 runs, having 29 hits, and winning by 18 runs.

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

BUF

5

0

0

5

0

3

10

0

4

27

29

0

SYR

0

3

1

1

2

2

0

0

0

9

14

2

Incredible.

UPDATE

Individual Highlights (and Lowlights)
  • Jim Negrych: 4-for-7, 1 RBI, 7 R, 1 BB, 1 K, cycle. Negrych is now hitting .515/.568/.879 through 9 games this year. That's a 1.446 OPS.
  • Moises Sierra: 6-for-6, 3 RBI, 5 R, homer away from cycle. Sierra is hitting .395/.438/.512 through 11 games.
  • Luis Jimenez: 5-for-7, 8 RBI, 4 R, 1 HR. Jimenez is hitting .353/.450/.618 through 9 games.
  • Josh Thole: 4-for-6, 4 RBI. Thole also forgot that the Bisons don't play in the PCL, hitting .393/.485/.429 through 8 games.
  • Andy LaRoche had a homer, his 4th of the season.
  • Low lights: Ryan Goins had a hit in his final at bat to go 1-for-7, Anthony Gose wnet 2-for-7 with 3 K.
  • Starting pitcher Edgar Gonzalez didn't pitch well, giving up 5 runs on 8 hits in just 4 innings. Buddy Carlile continued to struggle, giving up 2 runs on 3 hits and a walk in his 1 inning of relief. Bobby Korecky was awarded the win from the official scorer (Gonzalez didn't go 5 innings), giving up 2 runs on 3 hits in his 3 innings. Alex Hinshaw was the only pitcher from either team to throw a perfect inning. Hinshaw hasn't given up a run all season (6 innings pitched)
  • On the Chiefs' side, Tanner Roark, a minor league veteran, got the start and gave up 10 runs on 12 hits in his 3 innings pitched, while poor Patrick McCoy only got two outs while being charged with 9 runs (only 4 earned) on 7 hits.
Records Broken

These numbers are from a Bisons press release:

  • Most Runs in a Game, Modern Era (27) –Breaks the old record of 25, set in a 25-13 win in Rochester on April 29, 2004.
  • Most Hits in a Game, Modern Era (29) –Breaks the old record of 27, set in a 15-9 win in 10 innings in Indianapolis on April 18, 1985. The record for a nine-inning game was 25, set in the 25-13 win in Rochester on April 29, 2004. ***The International League reports that no IL club has scored 27 runs or recorded 29 hits in over 40 years***
  • Largest Margin of Victory, Modern Era (18) –Breaks the old record of 16, set in a 17-1 win in Toledo on July 17, 2012.
  • Most Runs in an inning (10 in 7th inning) –Ties the record, first set in the 3rd inning of a 14-0 win on May 6, 2001 against Richmond Jim Negrych, Hits for the Cycle –Negrych goes 4-7 with a walk and four runs scored. It is the first Bisons cycle since Justin Turner hit for the cycle on September 6, 2010 in Rochester. It was the fifth regular season cycle in the Buffalo modern era, all of which have come on the road.
  • Moises Sierra, 6-hit game –Only the third six-hit performance over the last 77 years of Bisons baseball. The other two were Justin Turner on September 6, 2010 in Rochester and Howard "Butch" Meyers on June 29, 1936 in Rochester. Sierra finished the game 6-6 with a double, a triple, five runs scored and three RBI.
  • Ryan Langerhans, Moises Sierra, 5-run game –The only other Bisons batter in the modern era to score five runs in one game was Brett Abernathy on June 19, 2004 vs. Indianapolis.
  • Luis Jimenez, 8-RBI game –Tied for the second-most RBI for a Bison in the modern era, matching Earl Snyder on June 13, 2002 in Syracuse and falling one shy of Dusty Wathan’s team record of nine set June 2, 2005 vs. Toledo.

No matter which level of baseball, it's always fun to lay an absolute drubbling on the other team. Of course, the question is, have they used up all of their runs for the next week? And if not, can they export some of that north of the border? The Bisons and their powerful offense will be headed to Lehigh Valley tomorrow to face Pete Orr and Tyson Gilles' IronPigs.