Blue Jays 3 Yankees 5: Extra inning loss for the Jays

Brad White

Yankees 5 Blue Jays 3 (11 innings)

There was a glimmer of hope there for a moment.

Down 3 in the bottom of the 8th and we manage to tied it up. A single from Colby Rasmus, walk for Adam Lind, a run scoring single for Rajai Davis, followed by a steal, and a 2 run single for Melky Cabrera and we were tied.

But we couldn't score in the 9th or 10th when we needed to score.

Aaron Loup gave up 2 singles, to right-handed batters, to start the 11th, his second inning of work. Tough choice, in extras, but hindsight says he shouldn't have been out there. Then came the bad moment. Ichiro Suzuki bunted to Loup, who turned to get the runner at 3rd, but Brett Lawrie came in on the bunt play and wasn't at his bag. Brett should have read the play better and Loup shouldn't have thrown to him. The error cost us 2 runs and the game.

Mark Buehrle pitched a good game, 7 inning, 8 hits 3 earned (2 of them shouldn't have been earned), 1 walk, 7 strikeouts. He was hurt by some bad defense. In the 5th, Mark gave up a single and double, got a strikeout, then intentionally walked Robinson Cano, to load the bases. Kevin Youkilis lined one at Brett Lawrie and Lawrie just missed it. It should have been an error, it wasn't. I'm not sure why.

Maicer Izturis also made an error on an what should have been a double play. Munenori Kawasaki made a nice play on a ball to his right, made a perfect throw to Izturis and he just dropped it. That one didn't cost us a run.

We didn't do much with the bats, just 7 hits. 2 for Melky Cabrera, who had his first double of the season. J.P. Arencibia (0 for 5, 4 k) and Brett Lawrie (0 for 5, 3 strikeouts) had particularly rough days.

Jays of the Day: Melky (.234 WPA) and Casey Janssen (.143). I'm giving one to Buehrle too, even though he had a -.024 WPA. He pitched great.

Suckage: Loup (-.302), Edwin Encarnacion (-.212), JP (-.200), Brett (-.170) and Rajai (-.102).

Tomorrow we finish this series. Ivan Nova (1-1, 5.59) starts for the Yankees. Josh Johnson (0-1, 6.91), tries to build on the good start he had last time out, 7 innings, 4 hits, 2 earned, 8 k.

Our GameThreads had 1474 comments from 52 commenters. Infield Triple led the way, inspiring us all:

# Commenter # Comments
1 Infield Triple 102
2 Tom Dakers 99
3 Alan F. 95