Toronto Blue Jays Trade Casper Wells to Oakland Athletics for Cash

Christian Petersen

According to the Blue Jays' official Twitter feed, outfielder Casper Wells has been traded to the Oakland Athletics for cash considerations. Wells was claimed from the Mariners and was dressed for the series against the Royals, but did not play a game before he was designated for assignment when the Jays called up Ramon Ortiz. Today was day 8 of the 10-day DFA period.

He will be missed by former teammate Munenori Kawasaki.

Munenori1

More to come.

UPDATE

I didn't lie about having more to come, but there really isn't that much more. The Athletics cleared room on their 40-man roster by placing Scott Sizemore on the 60-day disabled list (torn ACL), and will clear room on the 25-man roster when Wells reports to Boston. The A's have a plethora of outfielders already, so Wells might be designated for assignment again when Yoenis Cespedes returns from the 15-day DL. Mike Axisa speculates that the Athletics will likely option outfielder Michael Taylor to create active roster room for Wells. The Blue Jays received Michael Taylor along with Kyle Drabek and Travis d'Arnaud from the Philadelphia Phillies in the Roy Halladay trade, but immediately shipped him off to the Athletics for Brett Wallace (who in turn was later traded for Anthony Gose).