Who's Up, Who's Down On the Blue Jays the Last Two Weeks: April 11 to 24, Pitchers

Joy R. Absalon-USA TODAY Sports

Last year we looked at how the players were doing, every 2 weeks. This year I'm breaking it up, I'll do pitchers on Thursdays and batters on Fridays. In the past 2 weeks, the Jays went 6-8.

Pitchers

Arrow_up_3

R.A. Dickey

R.A. made 3 starts, went 2-1. 18.1 innings and 5 earned runs. Only 1 bad inning, he gave up 4 runs in the second inning of Tuesday's start against the Orioles. batters hit .206/.301/.270 off him over those 3 starts. I'm hoping the sore back/neck is something that will go away soon.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Brandon Morrow

Brandon made 3 starts, one was bad, the other two were pretty good. He was 0-1 with a 5.09 ERA, but should have had the win in Wednesday's game. Batters hit .254/.308.479 over those 3 starts. He only had 11 k in 17.2, that kind of worries me. It doesn't seems like we've seen him at his best yet. Still looking for his first win of the season.

Arrow_up_3

Mark Buehrle

Mark had 2 starts. and they went much the way Mark Buehrle starts are supposed to go, lots of hits, not many runs. In the April 15 start, he went 6.1, gave up 9 hits but just 2 runs. He also had just 3 strikeouts. The April 20 start, he went 7.0, gave up 7 hits, but just 2 earned, that time he had 7 strikeouts. Batters hit .291/.328/.364 against him. Only 2 extra base hits, 1 double, 1 home run.

Arrow_down_3

Josh Johnson

3 starts. One was awful, 1.1, 7 hits, 6 earned against Detroit. One good, 7 innings, 4 hits, 2 walks, 8 k. And one bad, 5.1, 8 hits 4 earned, 3 walks, 4 k. He looked so good in spring training.

Arrow_around_3_medium

J.A. Happ

J.A. also had 3 starts. 2 bad ones, 1 good. The last one was 6 innings, 4 hits, 0 earned runs, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts against the Orioles. The 2 bad ones, he went 10.2, giving up 9 earned off 11 hits, 4 walks, 2 home runs. For the 3 games, he was 1-1, with a 4.86 ERA, batters hit .234/.306/.391 against him.

Arrow_up_3

Casey Janssen

Casey's been great. Pitched in 5 games, allowed 1 earned, 2 hits, with 6 strikeouts and no walks. He had 4 saves in the 5 games.

Red-cross-icon-1_medium

Sergio Santos

Sergio pitched twice, in the time frame we are looking at, before hitting the DL. Pitched 1.2, no hits, 1 walk 2 k. The injury is listed as 'triceps soreness'. He's to have this week off and, hopefully start throwing next week.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Steve Delabar

Steve pitched in 6 games, for a total of 8.2 innings, 6 hits, 3 earned, 6 walks, 11 strikeouts. A lot of walks.

Arrow_up_3

Esmil Rogers

Esmil pitched in 7 games, 8.1 innings. He gave up 2 runs in the first of the games, our 11-1 loss to the Tigers. Since then only 1 earned. In total 7 hits, 3 earned, just 1 walk, 4 strikeouts. He's been good. If he can continue to keep the walks down, we'll like him. I'm ignoring the 2 run allowed in the bad game, we lost big, those 2 runs didn't matter.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Brett Cecil

Brett has been in 5 games, 5.1 innings (I thought the plan was that he'd be the long man?), 4 hits, 2 earned, 2 walks, 6 k. He gave up a triple and a home run in a game against the Yankees, other than that he was great, costing him his first runs of the season. He picked up a hold and a win.

Arrow_down_3

Aaron Loup

Aaron pitched in 6 games. He went 3 innings in the first one and didn't give up a baserunner. Every game since then he has given up at least 1 hit. In total 6.2, 7 hits, 1 walk, , 5 runs, 2 earned, 2 k, 2 hit batters. Take out the 3 perfect innings in the first game and his last 5 games he's had 7 hits in 3.2. I'm going to hope it is a bad stretch. He really didn't look good in his last outing.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Darren Oliver

Darren didn't start the season well, but he has been better the last couple of weeks. He pitched in 6 games the past two weeks, allowing just 1 earned. He's still giving up a bunch of hits, 6 hits, 5.2 innings, 0 walks, 2 k. The 1 run allowed got him a loss. Batters hit .286/.273/.429 against him. The last week has been better, 4 innings, 3 hits, 2 of the doubles.

Arrow_down_3

Ramon Ortiz

Pitched once, 3.1, 5 hits, 2 earned, 1 walk, 2 k and he's gone again. Follow the bouncing DFA ball.