Blue Jays 10 Indians 8: 5 Home Runs for the Jays

Tom Szczerbowski

Indians 8 Blue Jays 10

Wins are nice. Offense is great. Gotta love it.

Five home runs by the Jays. 2 for J.P. Arencibia. One each for Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion and Colby Rasmus. Nice to see some power.

And then a couple of speed runs. Emilio Bonifacio turned a pretty normal single into a double, seeing that the Indians weren't paying attention, using his speed to get to second. Reminded me of Marco Scutaro going to second on a walk, a few years ago. And Jose Reyes scored from second on an attempted double play. The throw to get Bautista at first was just late and Jose kept running right through the third base coach's stop sign. Brian Butterfield would have send him. Reyes also picked up his first stolen base.

9 hits and 6 walks for the Jays. That's the offense we were hoping to see. JP had 3 hits. Bonifacio 2. Reyes and Melky Cabrera walked twice. Three RBI each for Bautista and Encarnacion. Just a great night for the bats. Finally.

Mark Buehrle wasn't great, 7 hits, 6 earned, 1 walks and 4 strikeouts in 5.1. He gave up 2 home runs but the ball was flying out of Rogers tonight.

The bullpen did ok:

  • Steve Delabar: 0.2, 1 hit, 1 k. He was the lucky one to get the win.
  • Aaron Loup: 0.2, 2 hits, 1 earned.
  • Esmil Rogers: 0.1, 1 hit, 1 k.
  • Darren Oliver: 1.0, 3 hits, 1 earned, 1 walk. Saved by a terrific play from Bonifacio, going a long way back of second to get a grounder and making a good throw to first for the third out of the inning, saving at least a run.
  • Casey Janssen: 1.0, 2 strikeouts. He gets the first save of the season, he looked great pitching his second consecutive day.

Jays of the Day: Arencibia (.298 WPA), Encarnacion (.287), Bautista (.136) and Delabar (.105).

Suckage numbers go to Buehrle (-.429) and Mark DeRosa (-.108)

    As Minor League notes, Bautista came out of the game with a 'minor injury', a twisted ankle suffered when he beat out the throw on the attempted double play that Reyes scored on. Reyes also drove his head into the knee of the shortstop, when he slid into second on his stolen base.

    Another nice day in the GameThreads, even with me sitting in the medical center with my dad for half the game (he's fine, all is good). I'll post the leader board a little later, the program doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

    Bring on the Red Sox and John 'Dream Job' Farrell. First time I've wanted a former Jay to hear the boos from the stands.