Jose Bautista has a "Minor Injury", Twisted Ankle Hitting First Base

Tom Szczerbowski

Jose Bautista has what the Toronto Blue Jays call a "minor injury" after twisting his right ankle hitting first base in the bottom of the eighth inning in Thursday night's game against the Cleveland Indians. He did not come out for the top of the ninth and was replaced in right field by Rajai Davis. Sportsnet Radio's Mike Wilner relayed the message that Bautista was removed from the game just as a precaution.

When asked about it after the game, manager John Gibbons told the Toronto media that "he just twisted his ankle a little bit, we don't think it's a big deal," and that the team will re-evaluate the slugger Friday morning.

Bautista grounded into an RBI-fielder's choice with one out in the eighth inning, legging out a double play. He is "day-to-day", but the Blue Jays have a short bench as they are carrying eight relievers. If Bautista does not feel well tomorrow and the team feels that he needs a couple days more to rest, watch for a call down to the Buffalo Bisons for an extra outfielder. Should that happen, Aaron Loup may be the odd one out as he would not need to be exposed to waivers.

A little after the game, the man himself came out to tweet about his injury: