Miguel Batista Signs Minor League Deal With Blue Jays Because Why Not

Greg Fiume

Jon Heyman tweets that the Toronto Blue Jays have signed 42-year old right hander Miguel Batista to a minor league deal, possibly in some sort of attempt to hold a 2004-2005 Blue Jays team reunion. I can count six prominent people currently involved in some way with the team who were around the team for 2004-2005: John Gibbons, Dustin McGowan (who is on the disabled list), Dave Bush (who has been designated for assignment), Pete Walker (who is now the pitching coach), Pat Hentgen (who is now the bullpen coach), and Gregg Zaun (who is now an open mouth in a suit).

Batista was a Blue Jay in 2004-2005 after signing a three-year $13.1-million contract with Toronto prior to the 2004 season. With one year remaining on his contract, he was traded, along with Orlando Hudson, to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Troy Glaus and then-shortstop Sergio Santos. "Miggy" started 31 games with the 2004 Jays, going 10-13 with a 4.80 ERA while walking and striking out around 4.5 batters per nine innings. He was converted to a closer in 2005, finishing with a 4.10 ERA and 31 heart-attack inducing saves. According to MLB Trade Rumors, Batista hit 91.4 mph last year.

He has played 18 seasons in the major leagues, starting in 1992 with the Pittsburgh Pirates and last with the 2012 Mets and Braves, wearing nine other team's colours in between. Last season he pitched 52 innings and had a 4.61 ERA and 1.728 WHIP, starting in five games. One of the starts was at Rogers Centre where he went 2 innings giving up just 1 hit, but exited in the 3rd when he had a lower back strain. He was released on July 26 by the Mets and was quickly scooped up by the Braves the day after. This offseason he signed with the Rockies but he was released at the end of spring training.

This is a minor league signing and the Dominican will likely report to the AAA Buffalo Bisons. More to come when the club officially announces the signing.

UPDATE:

Not really an update, just wanted to ask a question: Since AA has signed a couple of 2005 Blue Jays, which of the 2013 Jays do you think would be scooped up by the Jays' GM in 2021?

I'll say... utility infielder Sergio Santos.