Chad Jenkins recalled from New Hampshire to start Sunday as Blue Jays place Rajai Davis on disabled list

Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

On Saturday morning the Blue Jays placed outfielder Rajai Davis on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Chad Jenkins to take his place on the 25-man roster.

Davis, who was the designated hitter Friday night, was forced out of the game with a left oblique strain and looked like he was limping as he ran down to first base. He appeared to be in a bit of pain as he was tended to in the dugout by trainer George Poulis.

Jenkins, 25, made one start for the AA New Hampshire Fisher Cats this past Monday after rehabbing from an injury. He went five innings, giving up two runs on three hits, striking out and walking one each. He threw 65 pitches, 42 for strikes. Jenkins was shut down for a period during spring training with a right shoulder inflammation issue. He was the Blue Jays' first-round pick back in 2009.

Although Brandon Morrow is still listed as the probable starter for Sunday's game against the Red Sox, Chad Jenkins provides a bit of insurance in case Morrow is unable to make the start. Unfortunately this leaves the Blue Jays with a short bench for today's game, composed of Henry Blanco, Mark DeRosa, and Maicer Izturis as Emilio Bonifacio and Munenori Kawasaki are in the starting lineup, which has Melky Cabrera leading off and J.P. Arencibia hitting cleanup:

UPDATE

Via Shi Davidi, the Blue Jays have announced that Chad Jenkins will be starting in place of Brandon Morrow on Friday, with Morrow slated to go next Wednesday against the Giants.

During spring training, I had planned to go down to Fenway Park this weekend to see a strong Blue Jays team face off against John Farrell's struggling Red Sox. I would not have thought that the three starting pitchers for this weekend would have been Ramon Ortiz, Mark Buehrle, and Chad Jenkins. Nor the fact that by the end of this weekend the Blue Jays would have already used nine different starters (R.A. Dickey, Morrow, Buehrle, Josh Johnson, J.A. Happ, Aaron Laffey, Ricky Romero, Ramon Ortiz, and Jenkins), after using 12 all last season. That would tie them with the two Los Angeles teams for most starters used. Nine teams still have only used five starters.

Counting Jenkins, the Blue Jays would have used 22 different pitchers appear on the mound by the end of this weekend, most in the major leagues and more than the Braves, Marlins, Rangers, Nationals, Mariners, Rays, and Reds used all season in 2012.