Blue Jays 3 Red Sox 2: Adam Lind homers in the 9th to win it

Jared Wickerham

Blue Jays 3 Red Sox 2

Thank you Adam Lind.

It looked like we blew it in the bottom of the 8th. Winning 2-0 going into the inning, Mark Buehrle, who pitched a great game, walked the leadoff hitter. Darren Oliver came in and quickly gave up a triple to Jacoby Ellsbury, 2-1. Oliver got Shane Victorio to strike out. Then with one out and the infield in, Dustin Pedroia hit a hard grounder at Munenori Kawasaki, who booted it. Kawasaki does seem to pick the worst possible moments to make errors. Oliver got out of the inning with the game still tied.

Then Adam Lind homered to leadoff the 9th. Only his second home run of the season, but it couldn't have come at a better time. Again, thank you, Adam Lind.

Casey Janssen gave up a leadoff double, to start the bottom of the 9th, but then stranded him. Casey Janssen is my favorite baseball player. Save number 10.

Buehrle really deserved a win today. He pitched 7 innings, 5 hits, 2 walks, 5 k. He had the 1 earned run, but that run scored after he left the game. His ERA dropped to 6.19.

On offense, we should have scored more, but I guess, as long as we win. Melky Cabrera singled home Colby Rasmus in the 3rd. In the 4th it was Colby's turn to drive in a run, singling in Adam Lind.

We had 6 hits and 3 walks against a suddenly drier armed Clay Buchholtz and 2 more hits, including the game winning home run against Junichi Tazawa. Adam Lind had 3 hits, Jose Bautista 2 hits and a walk.

Jays of the Day are Buehrle (.397 WPA) Lind (.368) and Janssen (.226)

Suckage numbers go to Oliver (-.233, but I'm going to have him share the 'award' with Kawasaki), J.P. Arencibia (-.140, 0 for 4) and Emilio Bonifacio (-.108, 0 for 4).

I'd love Melky to have a bit more range in left...he almost made a catch on the double that Janssen gave up, and missed a fly at the wall, earlier in the game, but then made a nice throw to second to get Pedroia trying to turn it into a double.

We had a nice GameThread, 31 of us totalled 621 comments. shortofbrillant leads again. Great job.

# Commenter # Comments
2 rob.magnificent 68
3 expos&nordiques4ever 58
4 Tom Dakers 57