Mother's Day May 12, 2013 Links

Joy and Pain. - Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports

A Happy Mother's Day to all moms. Hopefully, the Jays can make their moms proud with a victory over Boston. As for me, instead of a quiet Saturday doing squat, it was DBS vs his leaking toilet for much of the day. Needless to say I didn't fare as well as the Jays did as it turns out that the toilet mechanism I bought was defective. Onto the Links.

GAME RECAPS

Buehrle strong in Jays' win at Fenway - Sportsnet.ca
Sportsnet.ca Recap: Despite his ongoing struggles, Mark Buehrle allowed only one run in seven innings as the Toronto Blue Jays defeated the Boston Red Sox.

Mark Buehrle shines as Toronto Blue Jays beat Boston Red Sox in ninth on Adam Lind homer | MLB | Sports | National Post
In five of his seven previous starts, Mark Buehrle had struggled, falling behind hitters and giving up a bundle of homers

Blue Jays edge Red Sox at Fenway: Griffin | Toronto Star
The Star's Recap: Chad Jenkins starts Sunday, Brandon Morrow hurting. Mark Buehrle solid, Adam Lind homer breaks tie in ninth in Boston.

Full Count " Closing Time: Slump continues as Red Sox fall to Blue Jays, 3-2
Boston's less than relentless recap of yesterday's game.

JAYS LINKS

Toronto Blue Jays’ rotation is a mess, but GM suggests it’s temporary | MLB | Sports | National Post
In a studied understatement, Alex Anthopoulos called the pitching situation fluid. He did not have to add that the fluid is running downhill

The Jays And Injury Lies: Has A Pattern Emerged? | Drunk Jays Fans | Blogs | theScore.com
DJF's NSFW rant. I tend to agree because I've been there having to deal with recovery from surgery. There is no timetable, only guesses.

The Blue Jay Hunter: Flashback Friday: Roy Halladay's "Born to Play" Commercial
Ian looks back at Roy's commercial with the Jays which coincides with his rotator cuff surgery. FYI I liked this commercial, too.

MLB LINKS

The Worst of the Best: The Week(s)’s Wildest Pitches | FanGraphs Baseball
No Jays, but always terrible.

The Worst of the Best: The Week(s)’s Wildest Swings | FanGraphs Baseball
Henry Blanco makes an appearance.

Davidi: Bautista unimpressed with Ortiz allegations - Sportsnet.ca
Jose Bautista is familiar with the controversial Boston Globe column suggesting that David Ortiz's hot start must be fuelled by performance-enhancing drugs, and he's not impressed.

Full Count " David Ortiz to Dan Shaughnessy: ‘Look who it is’
Dan Shaughnessy is Beantown for Damien Cox.

MLB.com Gave Red Sox Owner A Byline To Respond To Dan Shaughnessy
From Deadspin (sometimes NSFW) Well, this is ... interesting. MLB.com published a column this afternoon that takes the Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy to task for filling precious newspaper space by creating accusations of PED usage for David Ortiz to deny. The author of that MLB.com column? None other than Tom Werner, the Red Sox chairman:

Weird Baseball Alert! Alex Cobb strikes out all four batters in one inning, still allows run | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
From the blog Big League Stew: The latest episode of "Weird Baseball" takes us to Tropicana Field, where the Tampa Bay Rays right-hander Alex Cobb pulled off one of the more unusual pitching feats you'll see by striking out four San Diego Padres batters in the third inning.

MLB suspends, fines umpires after second mistake in two days | MLB | Sports | National Post
The problem in Houston came a day after Angel Hernandez and his crew in Cleveland failed to reverse a clear-cut home run

Oakland A’s manager Bob Melvin demands answers after umpires botch call on ninth inning home run | Toronto Star
Umpires ruled that a ball hit by Oakland’s Adam Rosales with two outs was a double, not a game-tying homer.

Enforced ban of pink-labeled bats not manufactured by Louisville Slugger caps ugly week for MLB | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
From the blog Big League Stew: They say good things, bad things and all things tend to come in threes. That has proven to be true for Major League Baseball this week, and unfortunately for Bud Selig and company they’re talking all three right on the chin.

TODAY IN JAYS BASEBALL HISTORY

Baseball History May 12th - National Pastime - Baseball History
2001 Carlos Delgado surpasses Joe Carter to become the all-time Blue Jay career leader in round trippers. The first baseman hits his 204th home run in a Toronto uniform in a 7-2 loss to Seattle at the SkyDome.

2008 In the nightcap of a twin bill against the Blue Jays, Asdrubal Cabrera completes the 14th unassisted triple play in major league history. The Indians second baseman catches Lyle Overbay’s line drive, then steps on second to force out Kevin Mench, and gets the third out tagging Marco Scutaro, the runner from first base.

2010 Major League Baseball announces the Phillies' scheduled visit to Canada to play Toronto will be switched to Philadelphia due to security concerns raised as a result of the G-20 Summit being held in the Canadian city. The visiting Blue Jays will be considered the home team, batting last, and the use of a designated hitter will be permitted in the Citizens Bank Park contests.