Blue Jays 12 Red Sox 4: Jays hit 5 home runs

We need more of this. - Jared Wickerham

Blue Jays 12 Red Sox 4

As much as the Sportsnet guys complain about them, I love seeing us hit a bunch of home runs. Jose Bautista hit 2 and Emilio Bonifacio, Edwin Encarnacion and Brett Lawrie had 1 each. We had 12 hits. Edwin and Emilio had 3 each, nice to see Bonifacio hit the ball hard, he was a triple short of the cycle. Maybe he could keep this up. We did get some non-home run runs, Munenori Kawasaki drove in 2 with a single, to start the scoring in the second inning. The only Jays not to hit were J.P. Arencibia (0 for 5) and Colby Rasmus (0 for 3, a walk and a k).

I'll admit I wasn't expecting much from Chad Jenkins , but he had a really nice start. 5 innings (plus two batters), 7 hits, 2 earned, 1 walk, 2 k. He might have bought himself another start. XM radio gave me the Red Sox feed, and their commentators couldn't figure out how Jenkins was getting guys out, but mostly it was 'keep the ball down'. Not a great start, 7 hits is a lot, in 5 innings, but better than I expected.

Aaron Loup pitched 2 really good innings of relief, no hits, no walks, 3 strikeouts. Esmil Rogers, on the other hand, was not good, 2 hits, 1 walk, 2 earned, getting just 1 out. He still isn't one of my favorites. Brett Cecil cleaned up for him, getting 2 quick ground outs. Steve Delabar pitched the 9th, 1 hit, 1 k.

Jays of the Day: Jenkins (.171 WPA), Kawasaki (.153), Bonifacio (.148). I'm also going to give one to Bautista (.068), figuring anyone that hits 2 home runs deserves a JoD.

No one gets the Suckage, JP had the low mark at -.053.

The Jays have tomorrow off, then 2 at home against the SF Giants. I hope the bats keep working. Good to see a series win, all the better that it was over the Red Sox.

We had 1,090 comments in the GameThread, pretty nice for a Sunday afternoon. 45 people joined in. Expos&nordiques4ever led the way, commenting the right way, with a never say die attitude.

# Commenter # Comments
2 Damaso's Burnt Shirt 79
3 ABsteve 78
4 T-Ball 74