Looking back at the weekend Blue Jays-Red Sox series

I think Adam's about to give the 'I think we should stay just friends' talk. - Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports

Nice to win a series from the Red Sox, in Boston.

Some notes from the weekend:

  • I think that was the best starting pitching we've had for any series this season. Considering Ramon Ortiz, Mark Buehrle and Chad Jenkens were our starters, that was a surprise. 4 earned runs in 17 innings, a 2.12 ERA. Only Buehrle pitched late into the game, going 7 innings, but 5 innings from Ortiz and Jenkins was the most we could have hoped. 17 hits allowed, 8 walks (5 of them from Ortiz) and just the one home run allowed, a solo homer from Mike Napoli off Jenkins.
  • The bullpen, on the other hand, didn't have a good time. 9 innings, 7 runs, 6 earned, 11 hits, 2 walks, 7 k. Brett Cecil had his worst outing of the season on Friday, allowing 4 hits and 3 runs in 1.1, I guess he is allowed one bad game. We didn't score off Lester anyway, but keeping it a 1-run game would have given us some hope. Esmil Rogers gave up 2 hits, a walk and 2 earned, Esmil is having a rough time, he has given up 9 runs in his last 7 games, covering 6 innings. I'm still not a fan. Darren Oliver had a blown save, he wasn't helped by the Kawasaki error, but innings never go well that start walk, triple.
  • Clay Buchholz was much less obvious with the stuff on his arm.
  • Adam Lind was the hero of the Saturday game, and had 4 hits in 11 at bats. No walks for a change.
  • Melky Cabrera was moved to the leadoff spot, after the injury to Rajai Davis in the first game, He only had 2 hits, one a double, in 11 at bats for the series. His May is going better than April did, he is hitting .306/.314/.449 in May, but he is still slow as can be.
  • Jose Bautista hit second in the last two games, and went 4 for 7, with 2 homers and 2 walks in those games. Kind of makes up for the 0 for 3 in the first game. Jose's May is making up for a slow April, he's hitting .333/.453/.564 in May.
  • J.P. Arencibia was 0 for the series. 12 at bats, 0 hits, 3 k. That our guy. He doesn't have a walk yet this month. He drives us crazy, he'll have a great at bat, until he gets to 3 ball, then he'll chase. I don't understand it. 2 walks for the season. He had his BA up the .252 after the Rays series but is back to .230 now.
  • Brett Lawrie was 2 for 11, with the solo home run. It is time he started hitting.
  • Speaking of 'it's time he started hitting' Colby Rasmus was 1 for 9, with 2 walks and 4 k. Hitting .212 in May.
  • Emilio Bonifacio played in 2 games, going 0 for 4 with 2 k in the Saturday game and then 3 for 4 with a double, home run and steal in the Sunday game. His best game of the season. I'd love to hope that it is the turn around but let's see how things good. It has been awhile since he's made an error.

Share your thoughts on the three games.