Little bits of Blue Jay news.
- Melky Cabrera MRI results are back and it isn't bad:
Cabrera has right quad irritation, left hamstring irritation, can play "to tolerance," #BlueJays say.— John Lott (@LottOnBaseball) May 15, 2013
Good to hear it. Melky is starting to hit the way we hoped he would, even if he is running slow.
- Sergio Santos is having surgery tomorrow.
- Dustin McGowan pitched an inning for the Dunedin Blue Jays yesterday. 1 hit allowed and 3 strikeouts. A success.
- Scott Richmond has signed a minor league contract with the Rangers.
- Baseball America tells us that the Jays are the 'leaders to sign' Yeltsin Gudino, a shortstop from Venezuela:
When scouts grade out Gudino's tools, there isn't a 60 on his scouting report, but he's a well-rounded player with success on the international circuit and strong baseball instincts. Gudino, who trains with Carlos Guillen, excelled at the 15U World Championship last August in Mexico and has continued to show an advanced hitting approach for his age. Gudino's game will benefit from additional strength, which is a positive because there's room to project more power and perhaps arm strength from his 6-foot, 150-pound body. He's an average runner and a good fielder who projects to stay at shortstop.
And the nice folks at Bodog sent me a note showing how the slow start by the Blue Jays have messed up how Vegas views them:
Toronto Blue Jays - Odds to Win World Series
Toronto Blue Jays - Odds to Win AL
Toronto Blue Jays - Odds to Win AL East
Toronto Blue Jays - Will they be a Wild Card team?
Toronto Blue Jays - Updated Season Win Total
R.A. Dickey - Updated Season Win Total
I think I'd put $10 down on Dickey to get to 11 wins. And I think we'll beat 74 wins too.