A Care Free Friday May 17, 2013 Links With Poll

Sandoval wows Kawasaki with his tats - John Lott

Hola Jays fans. Shocked to see a Friday Links post? I am, too. Off night for the Jays and then a weekend series against the fricking Yankees.

SERIES PREVIEW LINK

Toronto Blue Jays vs. New York Yankees: MLB series preview | Toronto Star
The Star's Preview of the Yanks vs Jays series. The improbable vs the underachievers.

JAYS LINKS

Davidi: Patient approach paying off for Lind - Sportsnet.ca
From Sportsnet: Adam Lind's approach at the plate continues evolving. The 29-year-old says he has recovered from some "stupid" and "stubborn" moments in the batter's box to develop as a hitter.

Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia needs post-season to elevate profile: Griffin | Toronto Star
Crazy old guy who used to be the Expos PR guy looks at Posey vs JP. Is there really a comparison between the two?

The Blue Jay Hunter: Thursday Thoughts: Melky, Ortiz, Playoff Odds
Ian's look at the playoff odds facing the Jays (not good.)

Munenori Kawasaki's Mind Is Just Totally Blown By Pablo Sandoval's Tats
From Deadspin: Enjoy this photo. It's not often that you get to see someone over the age of seven have their world turned upside down by something the rest of us find mundane.

Even Ramon Ortiz Seems Surprised By Ramon Ortiz | Drunk Jays Fans | Blogs | theScore.com
From DJF. The picture says a thousand "WTF?"s.

MLB LINKS

Fan builds Yankee Stadium replica using 75,000 matchsticks | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
From the blog Big League Stew: For 86-year-old Bill "Brother Beans" Becker, it was three years and $300 well spent.

Millersville (Pa.) college baseball players helps save 2-year-old boy’s life in middle of the night | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
From the blog Big League Stew: It's probably the best save seven players on the Millersville (Pa.) University baseball team could possibly make.

MLB: Verlander vs. Darvish an interesting showdown | Toronto Star
"Oh Yu. Yu got what they neeed. And you say he's just an ace. And you say he's just an ace!" Darvish vs Kate Upton dropping Justin Verlander.

How Scott Kazmir got his groove back
From Hardball Times: He was left for dead in 2011. Now he's throwing as hard as ever. What's the deal?

BE VERY GLAD THEY'RE NOT RUNNING THE JAYS LINK

George Maloof Chased Into A Closet
From Deadspin (NSFW) A person in charge of a professional sports franchise worth hundreds of millions of dollars ran away from reporters and tried to hide in a closet. That is the story you are currently reading.

TODAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY

Baseball History - May 17th - National Pastime - Baseball History
1947 At Forbes Field, Hank Greenberg asks Jackie Robinson if the Dodger infielder was hurt in a collision with him at first base earlier in the game and then tells the embattled Brooklyn rookie, "Stick in there. You’re doing fine. Keep your chin up." Jackie will remark to the writers a few days later that his "diamond hero" is Hank Greenberg knowing that the Pirates' first baseman, who due to the bigotry endured as a Jew, can appreciate his difficulty of facing racial injustice everyday as the first black player in the major leagues this century.

1985 The Rangers fire skipper Doug Rader and replace him with the Mets' third base coach Bobby Valentine. Before returning to New York in 1996 to manage his former team, 'Bobby V' will compile a 581-605 record (.490) during his eight seasons in Texas.

1992 Using only 21 dates, the Blue Jays reach the one-million mark in attendance sooner than any team in major league history. The 1991 Blue Jays and the 1981 Dodgers shared the previous record.

2012 Yan Gomes becomes the first Brazilian to ever appear in a big league game when he plays third base in the Blue Jays' 4-1 victory over the Yankees at the Rogers Centre. The 24-year old Sao Paulo native enjoys a 2-for-3 day at the plate in his big league debut