Shutout Saturday May 18, 2013 Links

Elsa

Well that kind of sucked. It seemed that whatever the Yanks used worked and while the Jays tripped up much like a Rob "Crack Is Whack" Ford football fumble. Here are your Victoria Day (Saturday Links.)

GAME RECAP

Blue Jays shut out by Yankee in series opener | Toronto Star
The Star's Recap: Toronto's bats managed a mere two hits against the Yankees in a 5-0 loss on a beautiful spring night before 40,008 at Yankee Stadium.

JAYS LINKS

Blue Jays quarter-season report card | Baseball | CBC Sports
Some guy wrote: The season hasn't begun the way the Blue Jays wanted, but some hope has emerged as Toronto has a four-game win streak going and has finally figured out how to use its bats. Here's a first-term report card for the Jays' key players.

Blue Jays’ Jose Reyes on mend but return still end of June at earliest | Toronto Star
Reyes plans on remaining with the club to complete his rehab before what is expected to be a week or more of minor league games. Star's Version

Toronto Blue Jays’ Jose Reyes joins teammates, says he is making progress with ankle rehab | MLB | Sports | National Post
Reyes flashed a big grin Friday while reconnecting with his teammates in the visitors' clubhouse at Yankee Stadium. National Post's version.

For Blue Jays’ Casey Janssen, skill and scholarship go hand in hand | MLB | Sports | National Post
Watching the game between the Toronto Blue Jays and Tampa Bay Rays, Casey Janssen presented his theory

The Southpaw: Signs of Life?
Southpaw looks at Jays recent successes

The Blue Jay Hunter: Flashback Friday: The Ballad of Danny Ainge
Ian looks back at the baseball mess that was Danny Ainge.

MLB LINKS

Morganna - A Kissing Bandit's Mystery by Adam Kurland
The mystery of Morganna as baseball's buxom "Kissing Bandit" in the '70s, '80s and '90s is explored in Adam Kurland's provocative short film.

The Worst of the Best: The Week’s Wildest Pitches | FanGraphs Baseball
Ugly ugly ugly pitching

The Worst of the Best: The Week’s Wildest Swings | FanGraphs Baseball
Lots of Madison and Stephen here.

Ten crazy food creations you can eat at minor league baseball games | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
From the blog Big League Stew: In the minor leagues, creativity is king. When you're running a team, you can't necessarily count on players being there.

Faceplant! Ian Kinsler shows us the worst head-first slide of all time (GIF) | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
From the blog Big League Stew: Somewhere in Taiwan, Manny Ramirez is staring at an iPad laughing at Ian Kinsler. Ramirez showed us a pretty horrible example of sliding recently, but he's got nothing on what Ian Kinsler did in Thursday's Texas Rangers game

Soldier pretends to be Rays catcher, surprises daughter: video | MLB | Sports | National Post
Lt. Col. Will Adams, who was returning home from Afghanistan, decided to surprise his family by pretending to be the Rays catcher

TODAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY (Plus Ca Change, Plus Ca Meme Chose Edition)

Baseball History - May 18th - National Pastime - Baseball History
1998 Due to drastic payroll cuts reducing the World Champions' effectiveness, two class-action lawsuits are filed against the Marlins - one for breach of contract and the other accusing the team of false advertising.

2004 At the age of 40, southpaw Randy Johnson becomes the oldest pitcher to ever throw a perfect game when the Diamondbacks beat the Braves, 2-0. The ‘Big Unit’ joins Cy Young, Jim Bunning, Hideo Nomo and Nolan Ryan as the only hurlers to throw no-hitters in both leagues and creates the longest time span between no-no’s having first accomplished the feat against the Tigers in June of 1990.