Sergio Santos transferred to 60-day disabled list, Blue Jays claim Thad Weber

USA TODAY Sports

After undergoing what was termed "minor surgery" to clean up loose bodies and bone spurs in his right elbow, Sergio Santos has been transferred from the 15- to the 60-day disabled list, creating an open spot on the 40-man roster in order for the Blue Jays to claim right-handed pitcher Thad Weber off waivers from the San DIego Padres. Weber has been assigned to the Buffalo Bisons.

Santos, 29, has been oft-injured since he was acquired from the White Sox last season for prospect Nestor Molina. In 2012 he only made six appearances before he was placed on the disabled list for a minor ailment, but by mid-July the club announced that he would be going for season-ending shoulder surgery. This season, Santos made just five appearances, the last coming on April 13, before he was shut down yet again. Santos is eligible to come off the 60-day DL on June 13, but the Blue Jays have estimated that he would take six weeks to come back from the surgery, which puts him on a schedule to return around Canada Day.

Moving Santos to the 60-day DL created an open spot on the 40-man roster, and Alex Anthopoulos used it to claim righty Thad Weber from the Padres. Weber is a 28-year old Nebraskan who was drafted by the Tigers back in 2008, spending five seasons in the TIgers organization before making his major league debut on April 22, 2012 in Detroit. He was sent back down to the minors and was claimed on waivers by the Padres in late August. Weber was a non-roster invitee to major league spring training for the Padres earlier this season.

Weber has a career minor league ERA of 4.03, striking out 6.4 per 9 innings while walking just over 2. He has split the season between Tucson and San Diego, starting in six games in AAA and making three relief appearances in the major leagues. Through nine MLB innings this year, he has a 2.00 ERA, having given up five hits and five walks against six strike outs. In his six minor league starts, he has a 3.93 ERA with 26 strikeouts in 34 innings. According to a blogger's report on Weber, he has a curveball with tremendous vertical movement (-9.655) but with relatively small horizontal movement, although his command of it may still be a work in progress.

Weber is likely to join the Buffalo Bisons' battered starting rotation. When needed, he can most likely make a spot start for Toronto or act in a long-relief role. He is the 21st player the Blue Jays have acquired through waivers since the end of the 2012 season.

UPDATED

From Wikipedia:

  • Thad Weber threw a no-hitter for the Erie SeaWolves (AA)
  • Weber's children are named Babe (daughter) and Gehrig (son). Yankees fan, apparently.