FanPost

The Pitching Dilemma

Throughout this whole miserable start to the overly-hyped 2013 Blue Jays season, there is one topic that needs to be touched upon. While most people are trying to figure out why the Blue Jays have streaky bats and have gotten more from the bullpen than from the starters, that topic lingers around our brains, and once the time comes, someone will need to make a decision.

Kyle Drabek and Drew Hutchison, both on the Jays rotation last season, underwent Tommy John surgery. They are both on schedule to return from their injuries after the all-star break. Drabek underwent his surgery a bit earlier, but according to Drabek, he and Hutchison are on the same schedule, so both will probably have very similar return dates.

Dustin McGowan, who has seemingly been fighting injuries ever since 2008, was recently called up to play for the Buffalo Bisons (AAA) after a good start for the Dunedin Blue Jays (A). So perhaps, against all odds, McGowan may return after all.

Blue Jays closer Sergio Santos has been transferred onto the 60 day DL, and relief pitcher Luis Perez is set to return a bit before Drabek and Hutchison.

So, for the most part, this seems good, right? I mean, all of our injured pitchers are on the comeback trail! Even McGowan! The negative? What happens to all the pitchers on the Jays right now? After acquiring Buehrle, Johnson, and Dickey, will they fit into the rotation? Once they come back, Johnson and Happ will be back as well (most likely), and Morrow should be completely healthy, meaning Drabek and Hutchison could not replace Ramon Ortiz and/or Chad Jenkins as starters, unless of course, there are more injuries.

And the same goes for McGowan! While he did relief (very well(1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 R, 1 K)) in his first AAA game of the season, he is a starting pitcher. So what happens then? Can we just kick them out? Or do the Jays just keep these players in the minors until Buehrle gets really old and Johnson becomes officially bad? And then do the Jays have to turn some starters into relievers?

Also, Sergio Santos' situation has really escalated over the past couple of weeks, and I'm beginning to lose all hope of him coming back any time soon. The only situation for a pitcher that looks fine is that of relief pitcher Luis Perez, recovering from Tommy John surgery.

Only time will tell, but hopefully something will be figured out.