Blue Jays 7 Rays 5: Good start for R.A. Dickey, Edwin Encarnacion drives in three

Bowing after an All-Star Performance. Vote Kawasaki. - Tom Szczerbowski

Rays 5 Blue Jays 8

That turned out closer than it needed to be.

One of the several reasons I hate 8 man bullpens (or 9 man, depending on how you count Chad Jenkins) is that the guys you count on don't get enough work. Casey Janssen last pitched on the 11th. Today he wasn't sharp.

It wasn't a save situation, it was 7-3 when Casey came into the game. He wasn't good. It started with a Luke Scott single against that stupid shift. Normally, I'm ok with the shift, but when you are up by 4, in the bottom of the 9th, don't give the batter an easy way to get on. A couple of ground outs later, it looked like it wouldn't matter but Yunel Escobar's hit 2 run homer and it was a game suddenly. A single and a walk later, the Rays had the tying run on base. Thankfully Casey got Ben Zobrist to strikeout, ending the game, or this laptop would be broken.

It almost spoiled a nice start by R.A. Dickey. He went 8 innings, gave up 4 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, 4 walks and 5 k. one runs scored against him in the 2nd. Evan Longoria singled, went to 2nd on a passed ball. A ground out and walk later, he had runners on the corners. Jose Lobaton, ground into what was almost an inning ending double play but Emilio Bonifacio and Munenori Kawasaki were just a little slow with it.

A walk, single and Evan Longoria 2-run double, in the 3rd inning, scored the Rays other runs against him. I thought that Jose Bautista made a poor effort on the double, it was over his head, but he didn't take the best route to it.

Henry Blanco had 2 passed balls today. Catching a knuckleball isn't all that much fun.

I'm also finding that AL umpires are having a tough time calling balls and strikes on the knuckleball.

On offense, we scored 2 in the first. Melky Cabrera and Edwin Encarnacion singles gave us runners on the corners. An Adam Lind sac fly (great at bat for Lind, he saw 12 pitches before the sac fly) scored Melky and Edwin went to third on Escobar's throwing error, trying to double off Edwin, when there wasn't a change. How many errors has Yunel made against us this year? Brett Lawrie tripled to bring in Edwin.

In the second, doubles by Blanco and Cabrera got us another run. Blanco was clearly out sliding into second on his double, but we haven't had that many calls go our way this season, we'll take it.

In the 7th Bonifacio, Kawasaki and Jose Bautista all walked, to load the bases, and Edwin doubled, to clear them.

In the 8th, Bonifacio singled, but was picked off first. Blanco walked and Kawasaki tripled him home. I'm not sure what was the bigger surprised, the triple or that Blanco could score from first on anything that did leave the park.

We had 8 hits and 6 walks. No home runs, but 3 doubles and 2 triples. All of the starters reached base, except for Colby Rasmus.

Jays of the Day are Encarncion (.340 WPA, 2 for 4, 3 RBI) and Dickey (.196).

No Suckage Jays. Rasmus had the low mark at -.076, but then he made a very nice catch at the wall, in the 3rd inning.

Brett Lawrie also made some nice plays, as usual. It was nice to see Anthony Gose get into the game, even if he almost collided with Colby on a catch in left center.

Nice GameThread again today, 38 of us totaled 932 comments. shortofbrillant led us all with 112, a royal performance on Victoria day.

# Commenter # Comments
2 expos&nordiques4ever 85
3 Tom Dakers 77
4 MjwW 74