Minor News: Miguel Batista released, Chad Beck, Derrick Chung, Aaron Sanchez placed on disabled list

Greg Fiume

Over the past few days, there have been several minor league transactions of note in the Blue Jays franchise:

  • 42-year old Miguel Batista's second stint in the Jays organization is now over. He was released from the Buffalo Bisons today according to a team release. He was rather ineffective, recording an 8.36 ERA in 28 innings pitched, striking out 17 while walking 16 and giving up 41 hits in that span, good for a WHIP of 2. He had one good start when he threw six innings of one-hit ball against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs back on April 21.
  • The Bisons have also announced that they have placed Thad Weber on their active roster. Weber was recently claimed off waivers from the Padres.
  • Chad Beck was placed on the 7-day disabled list (the minor leagues only have a single DL) for an unknown reason.
  • Outfielder Ricardo Nanita was promoted from AA New Hampshire and will be joining the Bisons' outfield after Anthony Gose's recall. He hit .306/.353/.465 with 12 homers in 93 games in AAA Las Vegas last season. He has gotten to a rough start at the plate in the Eastern League, batting just .255/.322/.365 for the Fisher Cats, although he is on a five-game hitting streak. Nanita is a corner outfielder, which probably pushes Moises Sierra to the centre field spot in the Bisons lineup. As a 31-year old with no major league time, he is not a prospect by any means.
  • The Dunedin Blue Jays have placed Aaron Sanchez on the 7-day disabled list for an unknown reason--requests for information from the Toronto Blue Jays have not been answered. Righty Eric Brown was placed on the D-Jays roster from extended spring training.
  • The D-Jays have also placed catcher Derrick Chung on the DL. He was promoted to Dunedin from Vancouver to start 2012 and had responded really well, hitting .330/.385/.352 in 99 plate appearances. During the second inning of Josh Johnson's rehab start, Chung was bowled over at the plate by Travis Taijeron on a play at the plate. Trainers from both teams came out to tend to Chung, who had to be carted off the field. Catcher Chris Schaeffer joins the D-Jays from extended spring training.
  • The Fisher Cats released righty Fernando Hernandez.