Tinkerbell Left The Building Friday May 24, 2013 Links

EE SMASH!! - Tom Szczerbowski

For the first three innings it didn't look good for the Jays as O's Rookie Kevin Gausman showed why he got the call for tonight's start. However, the Jays bats worked him and the Pixie Dust-less Oriole bullpen over after the 3rd inning which meant that the Friday's Links post is quite a bit happier than it has been for a while. Onto the links including a record the Jays haven't come close to although it felt they did a lot in April and what happens when you bring the food you're selling into the bathroom.

GAME RECAPS

Encarnacion's slam helps Jays pummel Orioles - Sportsnet.ca
Sportsnet's recap: Edwin Encarnacion's sixth-inning grand slam helped pave the way for a 12-6 Blue Jays rout over the Baltimore Orioles.

Toronto Blue Jays blast Baltimore Orioles | Toronto Star
The Star's Recap: Edwin Encarnacion slam, J.P. Arencibia homer back Brandon Morrow in series opener. Kevin Gausman work in progress.

Buoyed by Edwin Encarnacion’s grand slam, Toronto Blue Jays rout Baltimore Orioles | MLB | Sports | National Post
The National Post's recap: The eyes of baseball were focused on Toronto, for reasons having nothing to do with the local team

Kevin Gausman shows flashes in debut, but Orioles fall to Blue Jays, 12-6 - baltimoresun.com
A less happy recap: It didn't take long for Kevin Gausman to show why the Orioles have such high hopes for their prized right-hander.

JAYS LINKS

The Blue Jay Hunter: Jose Bautista: The One Man Wrecking Crew
Ian looks at Jose's amazing 1.000+ WPA night against the Rays with a shoutout to MinorLeaguer.

Davis, Alford could join single-A Vancouver - Sportsnet.ca
Two of the Toronto Blue Jays' dynamic young position players, D.J. Davis and Anthony Alford, are tentatively slated to join the Vancouver Canadians at the single-A level.

Davidi: Stroman ready to resume climb to majors - Sportsnet.ca
After missing the first 50 games of the season due to suspension, Jays prospect Marcus Stroman is ready to return to the mound and begin his ascent to the majors, which could come sooner than later.

Toronto Blue Jays’ Casey Janssen grateful for the long layoff | MLB | Sports | National Post
Casey Janssen gave up a two-run homer. He figures that was a fair trade for eight days of rest

MLB LINKS

Visualization: Handedness through history
From Hardball Times: Good news for southpaws: there are now more LH batters in recent years than ever before.

No Steroids, No Birthday Cake: Parsing MLB's Employee Handbook
From Deadspin (NSFW sometimes) Congratulations! It's your first day working for Major League Baseball. You probably grew up a huge baseball fan, and while this isn't as good as actually playing, you're about to embark on a fun and rewarding career with MLB. But first, there's something you need to read and sign.

Daily Notes: Kevin Gausman Preparedness Manual | FanGraphs Baseball
It seems the Jays read up on it before the game.

Nickname Watch: The Baby-Faced Assassin | NotGraphs Baseball
Sometimes, it's better to get a nickname like Killer or Maddog or Boots.

Hey, Shane Victorino, HIGH FIVE!
From Deadspin (NSFW sometimes) Koji Uehara came on in the eighth inning and retired the White Sox in order. He was a little fired up when he returned to the dugout, where Shane Victorino got caught looking.

Astros vendor fired after taking snow cones with him into the bathroom | MLB | Sports | National Post
Ew. Seriously, ew. If you've ever seen the comedy show, The League then you might have seen an invention known as the Bathroom Cubby or the Dump Locker. Someone in Houston should have used it before selling his sno cones

A vendor at Houston's Minute Maid Park has been fired after a fan filmed him taking a tray of snow cones into a stadium bathroom

TODAY IN LOB-ster HISTORY

Baseball History - May 24th - National Pastime - Baseball History
1994 At Busch Stadium, the Cardinals set a major league record when they leave 16 men stranded on the bases without scoring. The Phillies take advantage of the Redbirds' lack of timely hitting and beat St. Louis, 4-0.

2011 Jo Jo Reyes makes his 28th straight start without recording a victory, tying the major league record shared by Cliff Curtis (1910-11, Braves, Cubs, Phillies) and Matt Keough (1978-79, A's). The Blue Jays southpaw, who leaves the game trailing 5-0 to New York after just three innings of work, hasn't won a start since June 13, 2008.