Toronto 6, Baltimore 5: TIME TO SCREAM AND SHOUT

Hero - Tom Szczerbowski

It's been a tough two days for the Jays as they got whipped and then lost a painful squeaker to the Baltimore Orioles that might have gone their way with just one lousy bounce. Today in the 9th it seemed the Jays were hearing the fat lady warm up as they were jabbed repeatedly with a Matt Wieters sized fork while being roasted on a spit. Instead we get a miracle bottom of the 9th against a closer who has owned the Jays for the last few seasons thanks to some improbable things like J. P. Arencibia working the count and a Munenori Kawasaki extra base hit.

With the score 3-2 Baltimore, the top of the 9th did not go very well for Steve Delabar or the Jays. With one out Delabar hit Nick Markakis in the foot with a pitch. Adam Jones hit a single into LF on an 0-2 pitch that put runners on first and third. Manager John Gibbons ordered an intentional walk to Chris Davis. Delabar rewarded Gibby's intuition by inducing a pop up to JJ Hardy. However, Matt Wieters decided not to cooperate by hitting a two run double into the RF corner. It didn't really matter that Danny Valencia popped up for the final out. At that point, Fangraphs said that the Orioles chances of winning stood at 95.6%.

In the bottom of the 9th, the Jays would bring up two of the three batters that went down in flames for the Jays in yesterday's game against Baltimore closer Jim Johnson. That was yesterday. Edwin Encarnation smacked a leadoff double to center to start the inning. Adam Lind then rolled a single up the middle just past the outstretched glove of JJ Hardy as Edwin advanced to third. J.P. Arencibia worked the count full (?!!??) and then lined a single to RF to drive home EE while the slow footed Adam Lind rumbled into third. Brett Lawrie hit a fly ball to medium RF where the rocket armed Nick Markakis fired one back to home as Lind stayed put. Brett howled that Lind should have gone, but was promptly verbally ripped apart by Gibby as captured by the dugout cameras while Jose Bautista played peacemaker.

Despite a couple of very questionable strike calls (high and outside?), Anthony Gose worked a walk loading the bases. Mark DeRosa hit a possible double play ball to short, but Anthony "Ty" Gose broke up the double play as Adam Lind scored giving the Jays one more chance at tying or winning the game. Munenori Kawasaki did his usual hitting magic by fouling off pitches and working the count full. On Jim Johnson's 37th and final pitch of the game, All Star lined a double that rolled to the CF wall scoring both JPA and Mark "Veteran Presents" DeRosa for the most exciting win of this painful season.

The game didn't initially start off well for the Jays as the Orioles scored first in the top of the 2nd inning on a Matt Wieters double and Valencia RBI ground out. The Jays finally scored in the 4th inning on a Brett Lawrie sac fly.

Chad Jenkins had runners on most of the time he was pitching but managed to keep them from scoring (mostly.) He went 5 innings gave up 8 hits, 2 earned runs with 2 intentional walks to Chris Davis (of 3 walks total) and 2 strike outs.

In the 6th Adam Jones smashed his 4th HR in four days and became the first player to do that to the Jays since Julio Lugo did for the Devil Rays in 03 as mentioned by Pat Tabler in the broadcast.

The Jays had a two out rally in the top of the 7th as Melky Cabrera walked, Jose Baustia singled and EE singled. If it weren't for Melky's gimpy legs then he probably would have scored on EE's single. However Adam Lind flied out to end the inning.

In the Jays 8th, they had the bases loaded with one out when Kawasaki drove home JPA with a single but Melky grounded out into a force out at home and Jose smashed a grounder up the middle that Orioles reliever Tommy Hunter nabbed with his pitching hand and threw him out.

FG Chart of today's game

Source: FanGraphs

Jays of the Day: Who else is going to top the list? Muneori had a whopping Fangraphs WPA of 0.942, followed by JPA who also took a walk (no that's not a joke) at .389 and Colby Rasmus who had one PA and had a BB at .120.

The suckage Jays were Jose at -.192, Melky at -.188, Brett at -.137, Steve Delabar at -.124 and Emilio Bonifacio at -.111. Mark DeRosa had a -.120 but I can't really give that to him.

Next game is tomorrow against Atlanta.