Blue Jays 9 Braves 3: Edwin Encarnacion drives in 5

Rogers Center without the people. - Tom Dakers

Braves 3 Blue Jays 9

Fun game again tonight, the Jays make it to 3-2 when I'm at the game. So, I can't go home worse than .500.

Edwin Encarnacion had a nice game, hitting a 2-run single in the 3rd, making the unfortunate choice to try to stretch it to a double (to be fair, I figured the throw from the outfield was going to go to the plate too) and a 3 run homer in the 7th. Colby Ramus had a nice game too, clubbing a 2 run homer in the 2nd and a double off his baby brother. J.P. Arencibia had a 2-run homer, he's done well with my son and I (and Carm and her daughter) watching. He's hit 2 home runs and, more surprisingly, had a walk.

Brett Lawrie also had 2 hits before spraining his ankle, on the most awkward looking slide since Jose Reyes last played.

Everyone in the started lineup had at least one hit, except for yesterday's hero Munenori Kawasaki, and he hit the ball hard twice. He's allowed a day off from hitting after yesterday.

The offense seems to be clicking finally.

Mark Buehrle threw a lot of pitches (111), fighting his way through 6 innings, but managed to give up just 1 run off 5 hits, 2 walks with 6 strikeouts. The Braves seemed to be able to foul off several pitches each at bat, but didn't hit him hard at all. Of the 4 games we've seen on this trip, this was easily the best job by a starting pitcher.

Brad Lincoln gave up a 2-run home run to Evan Gattis, but, other than that, looked pretty good. Thad Weber pitched a scoreless 9th, even though the home plate umpire didn't seem to want to call strike 3 for him. I thought he had finished the game 3 times, on pitches to Jordan Schafer, but each one was called a ball. But then, I didn't have the best view of the strike zone.

We played pretty decent team defense, for a change, tonight. Kawasaki and Emilio Bonifacio each had a couple of nice plays. The only really bad play was when Melky Cabrera took a lousy route on a fly ball and missed it, turning what should have been a fly out a

Jays of the Day are Buehrle (.229 WPA) and Ramus (our Rasmus, .151). Honorable mention to EE and JP.

No Suckage Jays today. Munenori had the low mark at -.040.

It's late, I'm off to bed. We had a nice time with Minor Leaguer and Carm (and her daughter) at the game and had a drink (or two, I'm kind of foggy on the details) with them afterwards, in the hotel bar overlooking the field. The picture posted above is of the field, after the lights went out.

It sounds like Lawrie will be day-to-day with the ankle sprain. I hope it isn't any worse than that.