Who Are Ya: Paul Maholm

Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

Brandon Morrow takes on 30-year-old left hander Paul Maholm as the Blue Jays try to take the first two games of this home and home series with the Atlanta Braves. In 61.1 innings this season Maholm has an ERA of 3.38 and a FIP of 2.58. He's had a pretty good season, likely reaching his potential as a middle of the rotation starting pitcher.

Maholm throws a four-seam fastball, sinker, cutter, slider, curve, and a changeup plus he's thrown 14 slow curves in the low 60's this year. Against right handed batters Maholm mainly throws a sinker and changeup combination getting 70% ground balls off of the changeup against opposite handed batters this year. Against lefties Maholm mainly uses the sinker, slider, and curve with a 45% whiffs/swing rate against same handed batters with the slider.

You can see how tough it is for right handed batters to get any solid contact on this changeup down and away from them. Maholm's changeup would probably rank as one of the at least top 25 changeups in the league from starters.

430904_r_ch__2012_40_14_0_20121001_medium

via www.fangraphs.com

Against lefties Maholm's slider dives right off the plate, which makes it easier to understand why he has such a huge whiff rate with the pitch. Hopefully Maholm doesn't get the opportunity to face too many left handers tonight.

430904_l_sl__2012_40_14_0_20121001_medium

via www.fangraphs.com

Should Lind Play: Take A Wild Guess

There is no possible way Adam Lind gets into the game tonight. Maholm has a .269 wOBA against lefties and a .346 wOBA against righties in his career. To make matters worse, left handed batters have a .222 OBA against Maholm this season (.344 for righties).

My hopeful lineup:

  1. Cabrera DH
  2. Bautista RF
  3. Encarnacion 1B
  4. Arencibia C
  5. Rasmus CF
  6. Bonifacio 2B
  7. Izturis SS
  8. Derosa 3B
  9. Gose LF
EDIT: The Blue Jays lineup has been announced. Pretty ugly:

For today's "Find the Link":

Find the link between Paul Maholm and the BEST BLUE JAYS 2B OF ALL TIME! (personal bias involved)

This could be an ugly one today.