Blue Jays 0 Mariners 4: Can anyone here play this game?

Tom Szczerbowski

Mariners 4 Blue Jays 0

For 3 innings, Ricky Romero looked terrific. In the 3 innings, he allowed 1 hit, quickly erased with a double play. After the third, Sportsnet showed Ricky talking to the trainer and course I said 'oh oh'. He had a rough 4th inning, and he was shaking his hand a lot. It looked like he was having a blister problem. The breaking pitches in particular seemed to be causing him trouble.

Now I'm not a manager, but I'd have pulled him as fast as I could have. And the trainer did come out, but they left him in. A mistake to me. Ricky walked the first guy and gave up a home run Kyle Seager next. A hit batter, strike out (with a wild pitch mixed in) followed. Another walk, then a Dustin Ackley RBI single, and I was yelling pull him. He couldn't throw anything but a fastball for a strike.

Bases loaded, and Jesus Montero ground one off Ricky's arm. He got the out at home, but the trainer came out again. I still wanted him pulled, but he stayed in and got a fly out to end the inning.

You could say he toughed it out, it could have been so much worse, but I didn't see the point in leaving him in there. I'd have liked him out while things were good.

Our pen pitched 5 innings. 2 for Aaron Loup, who gave up a solo homer to Jason Bay. 1 scoreless inning each for Esmil Rogers, Darren Oliver and Casey Janssen pitched a scoreless inning each. Rogers looked particularly good. Sorry for all the nasty things I've said about you.

On offense? Well, Felix Hernandez was very good and we aren't hitting at all, a bad combination. We had 5 hits, but also hit into 3 double plays. It was pretty sad. Our best chance was in the 8th. Adam Lind doubled, Colby Rasmus singled and it looked promising. But Maicer Izturis hit a hard line ball, right at Mariners third baseman Kyle Seagar. Colby got a little too far off first, and was doubled off. A perfect representation of our season in a single inning.

Lind's double was our only extra base hit. Melky Cabrera, Jose Bautista, Colby Rasmus and Munenora Kawasaki each singled.

No Jays of the Day. Rasmus led the way with a .029 WPA.

Suckage: Izturis had the number at -.157, but that was mostly from the line out double play and I can't give him a suckage award for one of the rare times he's made good contact. Ricky has a -.123 but again, I'm not giving him the honor, hoping that the blister was the cause of his trouble. So I'll give the award to Edwin Encarnacion (-.104) for an 0 for 4, 2 k and he hit into a double play in the 7th. His hot streak seems to have ended.

Tomorrow R.A. Dickey (2-4, 4.50) tries to right the ship. He'll have to be very good because Hisashi Iwakuma (2-1, 1.67) is starting for the M's and I figure I could go 6 scoreless against the Jays right now.

I don't know what to say. I think we are getting to the point where something has to happen. Players called up. Players released? Fire a coach? Sacrifice a TV analyst? Tabler, for the good of the team.....

I really don't get it, I could understand .500. I could understand a few players having a tough start to the season. I don't understand everyone having a bad start. I mean, there is a bit of bad luck. And if Reyes wasn't injured, I'm sure we'd have a few more wins. But I don't get it. How can everyone be bad?

43 of us put up 740 comments in the GameThread, which was amazingly pleasant considering how crappy the season has gone, thank you all. For the second time this season, I led the way with 90 comments.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 90
2 shortofbrillant 72
3 Janz_V84 62