Thursday BBB Links: Four Man Four Hitter Edition

Attaboy Casey - Kevin C. Cox

Last night a rag-tag band of pitchers not only shut out Atlanta but held them to 4 hits and generated 11 strikeouts. Stranger things have happened, albeit not often.Today's links include updates on Blue Jays injuries, a piece on players who made their money getting beaned and the latest scandal from Miss Universe Canada.

This year it seems like the baseball gods have showed a great deal of disfavor to the Toronto Blue Jays so its good to see them win one that didn't look good going in. A three man offense of Melky Cabrera, Edwin Encarnacion, and Emilio Bonifacio did just enough to support a stellar pitching effort tonight, more than half of which came from guys who were Buffalo Bisons earlier in the day (at least as far as we all knew). A mini sweep would be a nice touch, but for now how about some links?

JAYS LINKS

Jays pitchers throw 4-hitter in win over Braves - Sportsnet.ca
"Melky Cabrera had three hits, including a two-run single, and four Toronto pitchers combined on a four-hitter to lead the Blue Jays past the Atlanta Braves, 3-0 on Wednesday night."

With assist from Hentgen Smoral learns change - Sportsnet.ca
"The latest Blue Jays farm report includes updates on minor league pitchers Matt Smoral, Dustin McGowan and Marcus Stroman, among others."

Versatile DeRosa ready to catch in a pinch - Sportsnet.ca
"Emergency catchers are rarely required to put on the tools of ignorance, but Mark DeRosa of the Blue Jays is prepared just in case. The infielder played six positions for the Nationals in 2012."

Jon Morosi Thinks Brett Lawrie Needs To…Be More Lucky? | Getting Blanked | Blogs | theScore.com
Some quality thoughts on what appears to be a freak injury to Lawrie

Injuries Everywhere! | Drunk Jays Fans | Blogs | theScore.com
The headline says it all

Hoping Gibby Uses Old La Russa Trick With Lineup - Jays Journal - A Toronto Blue Jays Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
I'm pretty sure the best place to hit the pitcher is where he'll get the least at bats but I guess I'm old fashioned that way.

AL EAST NEWS

Curtis Granderson injury: Yankees outfielder undergoes hand surgery - SBNation.com
"The Yankees outfielder had a pin inserted into his left pinkie finger Wednesday morning, but his timetable for recovery remains the same."

Red Sox recall Jackie Bradley Jr. from Triple-A - SBNation.com
Boston's young outfielder is back with the big-league club for the two-game series against the Phillies.

MLB injury notes: Dustin Pedroia playing through UCL tear, Kyuji Fujikawa needs Tommy John, and more - SBNation.com
"The latest in injury news from around Major League Baseball."

Jake Odorizzi sent down; Colome up! - DRaysBay
"A reliever will be promoted later today. EDIT: Colome."

Rays prospect Josh Sale suspended indefinitely - DRaysBay
This guy looks to be personification the worst of Brett Lawrie from the picture alone. As to the actions, what an idiot.

THE REST OF THE BASEBALL UNIVERSE LINKS

Pain Profiteers | FanGraphs Baseball
It figures that Reed Johnson would be on this list. Sidenote: Why in the world were people heckling Reed Johnson when the Braves were in town this week? He is about as undeserving of Blue Jays fans' scorn as you can imagine.

Dayton Moore and the failure of player development - Royals Review

"The potential has been in the farm system. The results have been missing in the majors."

Pay me now, or pay me later

"Is it better for young players to sign long-term deals or go year to year?"

Joe Blogs: Royals Power Update

I may be getting a little heavy on the Royals content here but you've got to love Joe Posnanski.

Rookie Watch: The legend of 'El Oso Blanco' grows

"Evan Gattis doesn't wear batting gloves, and he doesn't take practice swings. He just hits home runs." El Oso Blanco is quite the nickname.

Time for Ozzie Guillen to ride again - SBNation.com

"The managers mouth hides a skill set that could help the right team." Really?

NON-BASEBALL LINK OF THE DAY

Oops. Wrong contestant named pageant winner | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun
"Denise Garrido’s reign as Miss Universe Canada was a short one."