The Blue Jays are going through pitchers like a certain mayor is going though staffers

USA TODAY Sports

Since April 2012, the Blue Jays have used 49 pitchers. Since April 2012, the Cincinnati Reds have used 19.

It is the end of May, and the Toronto Blue Jays have won 23 games and they have used 27 different pitchers. Read it again: after one-third of the season the Blue Jays have had more pitchers than the number of games they've won. Alex Anthopoulos probably didn't see that coming. The two other teams that hold the distinction of having used more pitchers than wins probably did expect it: the Miami Marlins have won 13 games with 16 pitchers, while the Houston Astros have won 17 games on 18 pitchers. The Astros may be leaving the club pretty soon.

The Blue Jays' 27 pitchers used is tops in the major leagues--and by far. The Los Angeles Angels and the Baltimore Orioles have "just" gone through 21 pitchers, good for second place. Somehow, the Arizona Diamondbacks and Kansas City Royals have gotten away with using just 14 pitchers all season. Toronto used their 15th different pitcher, Edgar Gonzalez, back on April 9. April 9! Seven games in!

Here is the list of the folks who have been on the mound for the Jays this season just for you to stare at (in alphabetical order): Mark Buehrle, Dave Bush, Brett Cecil, Steve Delabar, R.A. Dickey, Justin Germano, Edgar Gonzalez, J.A. Happ, Casey Janssen, Jeremy Jeffress, Chad Jenkins, Josh Johnson, Aaron Laffey, Brad Lincoln, Aaron Loup, Brandon Morrow, Sean Nolin, Darren Oliver, Ramon Ortiz, Juan Perez, Todd Redmond, Esmil Rogers, Ricky Romero, Sergio Santos, Mickey Storey, Neil Wagner, and Thad Weber.

Of course, this sort of thing was happening in 2012, when the Blue Jays led the league with 34 pitchers used (Jeff Mathis is included in this). Since the first game in 2012, the Blue Jays have had 49 different people pitching for them, nine more than the club with the second-most (Chicago Cubs with 40). While in the same time span, the Cincinnati Reds have only used 19 pitchers! Nineteen! The Blue Jays have used 30 40 more pitchers than the Reds--that's, like, an entire roster! [Math is hard]

So far in 2013, 12 pitchers have recorded five or fewer innings with the club. While the next closest teams (an eight-way tie) have only four. Of course, the 12 includes recent call-ups Perez, Wagner, and Redmond, but I don't think the Blue Jays will have problems maintaining that lead.