Wednesday BBB Links: Hoping Happ is OK Edition

What a beautiful man. - USA TODAY Sports

The injury suffered by J.A Happ tonight was of the sufficiently scary variety to remind those watching that baseball is just a game and the well being of other human beings is infinitely more important. Today's links delve in J.P Arencibia's defense, the success of Asian pitchers and where to get your sugar fix in Toronto.

Despite Happ's awful injury the Blue Jays fought back for a really nice win thanks to a lineup that hit for a lot of power and a bullpen that shut things down. Three game winning streaks aren't really supposed to be that uncommon but this one does feel significant, especially given the awful time the Jays have had in Tropicana in the past.

JAYS LINKS

Jays rally vs. Rays despite losing Happ - Sportsnet.ca
"The Toronto Blue Jays managed to not only cope with some difficult circumstances, they rallied their way to a third straight win after J.A. Happ was struck in the head by a line drive."

Time To Give Pete His Walking Papers - Jays Journal - A Toronto Blue Jays Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
"With the Toronto Blue Jays pitching staff doing so poorly, should the team look to other solutions for their pitching coach?" Um.... what?

Blue Jays show signs of a long World Baseball Classic hangover - The Globe and Mail
"Toronto has has mixed results at best from players who took part in tournament" Everyone is looking for an explanation.

A Timid Defense of J.P. Arencibia’s Defense | Drunk Jays Fans | Blogs | theScore.com
Is Arencibia actually an excellent pitch framer? This stat that makes you think:"As a staff, the Toronto Blue Jays rank fourth among all 30 teams for called strikes on pitches thrown outside the zone."

Davidi: Injured Jays making steady progress - Sportsnet.ca

"Injured reliever Sergio Santos is nearing a return to action, while fellow injured pitchers Dustin McGowan, Kyle Drabek and Drew Hutchison are making steady progress towards recovery." A healthy Hutchison would probably be nice right about now.

AL EAST LINKS

Cinderella Red Sox, Yankees too good to be true? - CBSSports.com
If the baseball gods were real they wouldn't let this kind of thing happen.

Travis Hafner is the Yankees' most surprising player - Pinstriped Bible
"The Yankees have gotten positive contributions from many players to make up for their injured stars, but no start has been more pleasantly surprising than Travis Hafner's." What about Vernon Wells being useful?

Chris Davis currently has 5:1 odds to win the A.L. MVP - Camden Chat
I still wouldn't put any money on it.

The Baltimore Orioles' Mental Health Program - Camden Chat
"Kudos to Jake Arrieta for speaking about his anxiety. Will this change the culture of mental health awareness in baseball?" One would hope so.

THE REST OF THE BASEBALL UNIVERSE LINKS

Is It The End of The Road For Former Blue Jay Roy Halladay? - Jays Journal - A Toronto Blue Jays Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
"Are recent results and a shoulder injury enough to end the career of former Toronto Blue Jays ace Roy Halladay?" You hate to bet against Doc but you have to wonder.

Maybe It’s Time We Stop Underrating Pitchers From Asian Countries | FanGraphs Baseball
I would mind Darvish, Ryu, Iwakuma, Kuroda and Chen as my five man rotation at the moment.

B.J. Upton's bad, bad start - SBNation.com
"Getting good results from one out of two Upton brothers still leaves the Braves with a problem."

MLB Power Rankings - Top 30 MLB Baseball Teams - FOX Sports on MSN

At least the Blue Jays cracked the top 30.

Once again, expensive free agents are failing to meet expectations - MLB - Tom Verducci - SI.com

Despite not being a fan of OPS as an all encompassing stat I will admit that Verducci does make a good point.

NON-BASEBALL LINK OF THE DAY

BBC - Travel - Toronto’s sweetest spots : Food & Drink, Toronto

"From cupcakes to doughnuts to gelato, a new crop of entrepreneurs are opening sugary boutiques with Canadian flavours in the city’s west Queen West district." I'm not sure what the overlap for baseball fans and sweets lovers is but I assume it's high.