Blue Jays DL J.A. Happ, Edgar Gonzalez called up

Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

J.A. Happ has been placed on the 15-day DL with a head contusion. Edgar Gonzalez has been called up from Buffalo.

Gonzalez pitch 3.2 innings for the Blue Jays in April, allowing 3 hits, 3 walks, 2 earned with 2 strikeouts. In Buffalo he has made 4 starts, is 1-0 with a 5.49 ERA, 19.2 innings, 26 hits, 2 home runs, 2 walks, 15 strikeouts. I'm not sure if the plan is to start Gonzalez in Happ's spot or to use him as a reliever and then make a change when Happ's turn comes around again.

I'd vote Claudio Vargas to make the start, if they were to ask me. He has a 3.10 ERA in 5 starts, 29 innings, 27 hits, 1 home run, 14 walks, 23 strikeouts. But then the Jays have scouts and know more about it all than I do.

Happ has made 7 starts for us, 2-2, with a 4.91 ERA (but then 4 runs counted against him yesterday, 3 that scored after the injury), 19 walks, 26 strikeouts in 33 innings.

Recover quick Happ.