Blue Jays 4 Rays 10: A terrible start for Ricky Romero

That says it all. - J. Meric

Blue Jays 4 Rays 10

So, surprisingly, of the pitchers that started for the Jays, in the last two days, the one that took a ball to the head was the one that had a better night. Well, not really, but....

Ricky wasn't good. He gave up 4 hits, 2 walks and 3 runs, while only getting 1 out. In a half-hearted defense of the guy, none of the four hits were hit hard. Rajai Davis should have caught the one fly ball to the outfield, the other three were soft ground balls that missed fielders. And, after two days of really wide strike zones, tonight's plate umpire had a much smaller zone. Ricky could have used the wide zone. I likely would have left him in longer. They weren't hitting hard line drives off of him.

All that said, he was awful. No doubt about that.

John Gibbons is saying that Ricky will get another start. I don't think has any choice, with J.A. Happ in the DL.

Edgar Gonzalez came in and was pretty good for most of his 4.2 innings, but he gave up 4 runs in his last inning, likely tiring. His line doesn't look good, 6 hits, 5 runs, 2 walks, 1 k, but it looks worse than he actually pitched. By the time Esmil Rogers came in, it didn't really matter anymore, but he wasn't good either, 1.2, 2 hits, 1 walk, 2 earned, 1 k. Brett Cecil finished it out with 1.1 scoreless innings.

There was a moment when it looked like we'd enjoy this game, Edwin Encarnacion hit a 2-run home run in the top of the first, but that was about all the fun of the night.

We had 9 hits, 2 each for Melky Cabrera, J.P. Arencibia and Rajai Davis. Melky has his average up to .277, JP is up to .252 and Rajai .284. Edwin, Mark DeRosa and Emilio Bonifacio had a hit each. 0 fors go to Brett Lawrie, Jose Bautista and Maicer Izturis. Lawrie's batting average drops to .175.

There were a couple of good defensive moments. Jose Bautista made a nice catch coming in on a ball in right, and then throwing to first to double off the runner. Brett made a great play, going to his right and making a leaping, turning throw to first, that Edwin did a nice job of catching. Mark DeRosa played second and didn't look out of place to me.

We also had some moments of awful base running. Jose got thrown out at third, trying to advance on a ball hit to short, in front of him. And just a couple of batters later, JP on first and Rajai on second, DeRosa singled, JP was stopped at third but Rajai ran to third. JP had no choice but go to the plate and he was lucky the catcher dropped an easy throw.

On the Rays side, Evan Longoria was 3 for 4 with a 2-run homer and a double. Kelly Johnson also hit a home run and a double. Matt Moore wasn't great, giving up 6 hits and 4 walks, in 5 innings, but he didn't have to be to get the win.

Jay of the Day: Edwin (.254 WPA).

Suckage: Ricky (-.452).

Once again, a very active GameThread, even with the Leafs playoff game going into overtime. That was bad luck for the Leafs, I thought they were the better team in OT. We had 1,113 comments from 50 of us. shortofbrillant led the way, once again, great work in a losing cause.

# Commenter # Comments
2 ABsteve 84
3 Bowling_Guy25 78
4 Tom Dakers 73