Blue Jays 3 Rangers 1: Great Start for Esmil Rogers

Esmil - USA TODAY Sports

Esmil Rogers pitched 7 innings of 1 run ball and Edwin Encarnacion doubled home 2.

Blue Jays 3 Rangers 1

A very good start for Esmil Rogers. 7 innings of one run ball, just 5 hits, 1 walk with only 1 strikeout. He kept the ball on the ground, 11 ground outs to 4 flyouts. The run against him was an opposite field home runs, not hit all that hard, but that is a good park for home runs. After watching him earlier this season, I'm amazed he could go 7 innings with only 1 walk. He's brought his ERA down to 3.21. The Jays have won each of his 3 starts. It looks like he's in the rotation to stay.

Steve Delabar pitched a nice 8th, allowing 1 single but striking out the side around it. And Casey Janssen picked up his 14th save with a clean 9th inning.

On offense, we didn't do much, we only had 3 hits off Yu Darvish, in 7 innings. Both pitchers were the beneficiaries of a large and pretty inconsistent strike zone. Darvish struck out 9 Jays, as we couldn't lay off low, sometimes bouncing, curves. We did manage 1 run off him, Emilio Bonifacio singled, stole second and scored on Melky Cabrera's single.

The winning runs scored on a Edwin Encarnacion double off reliever Tanner Scheppers. Ranger center fielder Leonys Martin came within a couple of feet of making a great catch, but then jammed his wrist landing his dive and had to leave the game. Edwin came through when we needed him.

The only Jays to hit tonight were Melky, Edwin, Maicer Izturis (hard hit double) and Emilio.

Jays of the Day are Rogers (.365 WPA), Encarnacion (.287), Janssen (.107), Bonifacio (.102) and Delabar (.101).

Suckage goes to Jose Bautista (-.146 for an 0 for 3, walk, k).

Others having a tough night were Adam Lind (0 for 4, 2 k), Colby Rasmus (0 for 4, 3 k) and J.P. Arencibia (0 for 4, k).

Our GameThread had 45 commenters totalling 776 comments. Damaso's Burnt Shirt led the way. Great work DBS.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Damaso's Burnt Shirt 102
2 MjwW 70
3 Maj. Major Major Major 62