Who would you play at second when Jose Reyes returns?

Kawasaki and Izturis - David Banks

It looks like Jose Reyes will be back soon, who would you play at second when he gets back?

There are little bits of good news in Blue Jays land today:

and then this:

As well, John Gibbons has said that, when Reyes does come back to the lineup, Jose Bautista will stay in the two spot and Edwin Encarnacion in the three spot of the order. It is the right move, but I didn't expect it. Gibbons, you are making me a fan.

Anyway, our question of the day is: when Reyes returns, who should play second base?

The choices are:

  • Emilio Bonifacio: Emilio has been terrible, he has a .208/.237/.315 batting line, a -0.5 WAR. Fangraphs has him at a 1.0 UZR/160 which is ok. He made his first error since April 10th just this week. Occasionally I think that his bat is coming around but it hasn't. I'm not sure it will. Over the last two weeks he's hit .160/.192/.160.
  • Munenori Kawasaki: He's been somewhat better, has a .214/.329/.275 line, and a 0.4 WAR. His defense at short has been ok, Fangraphs has him at a -1.5 UZR/150. The last couple of weeks he has hit .174/.321/.217. He's fun, but unless Alex can be bribed by Kawasaki Super PAC money, I think he'll be the odd man out.
  • Maicer Izturis: Another disappointment. He's hitting .215/.253/.299 and has a -1.4 WAR. He has a -20.3 UZR/150 at second base, but that's in just 209 innings. Over the last couple of weeks he's hitting .237/.275/.263. He's been playing mostly 3rd, filling in for Brett Lawrie, but Mark DeRosa could play there. DeRosa has a 0.1 WAR.