Toronto 6, Texas 1: We understand but do not sympathize

Rick Yeatts

It's a good time to be a Jays fan as the Jays pound the slumping and offensively struggling Rangers for their fourth win in a row despite the struggles of Edwin and Jose. Tom missed a pretty good game but it wasn't as quick as yesterdays 2 hour express version (I blame ex Jay Jason Frasor for that.)

The game was won in the first inning. Jose Bautista hit a single to right field with one out. Edwin Encarnacion struck out and then Adam Lind hit a home run off Texas Starter and loser Josh Lindblom (according to Pat Tabler, "he hits at least one homer every series in Texas") that hit the RF foul pole.

Things went very quiet till the fourth inning. Edwin struck out to lead off the inning then Adam Lind singled. Colby Rasmus smashed a two strike pitch deep into the RF stands.

R.A. Dickey pitched okay. It was certainly better than his start in Chicago where the fog killed his knuckler, but it wasn't as good as his start against San Francisco. He managed to contain the Rangers till the 6th when the Rangers got two blooper hits after A.J. Pierzynski grounded out to start the inning. Chris McGuiness had the only solid hit of the inning with a liner into right field scoring Nelson Cruz aka the Jays killer. Nelson Cruz would score on a ground out to 2B in the next AB. Neil Wagner came in to get the final out of the 6th for RA who threw 110 pitches in the Texas heat.

The bullpen took it the rest of the way as Wagner, Brett Cecil who faced four batters and got all four out for 24 outs in a row and Dustin McGowan finished up.

Manager John Gibbons took out Melky Cabrera and Jose in the 8th inning. Apparently Jose was sore. I don't know if it was from the excellent catch he made in the foul area or not.

The Jays scored two more insurance runs in the 9th on a Josh Thole single and Adrian Beltre error.

Jays of the Day according to Fangraphs WPA: RA Dickey .193, Adam Lind .182, Colby Rasmus .119 and honorary ones to Brett Cecil .089 and Neil Wagner .096.

No suckage Jays today.

This win now puts the Jays in a position to sweep the offensively challenged Rangers in a four game series.