Happy Father's Day Sunday June 16, 2013 Links

USA TODAY Sports

To all the dads out there, happy father's day. Hopefully the Ranger's offensive woes continue to help the Jays win today's series finale and complete the sweep. Onto the Links:

GAME RECAPS

Blue Jays: Dickey gets the win as Toronto hammers Rangers | Toronto Star
The Star's Recap: With the victory, the Jays move to within five games of .500.

Without best stuff, Toronto's R.A. Dickey still shuts down struggling Ranger bats: 'Some of it was him, but most of it was us' | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - SportsDayDFW
AP's recap

Rangers’ run drought ties record in fifth straight loss | Texas Rangers | Texas Ranger...
The very sad recap from the other side: A pair of two-run homers doom Josh Lindblom's third major-league start.

JAYS LINKS

Data reveals Bautista’s outbursts on borderline calls may be warranted - The Globe and Mail
Bautista’s troubles with strike-zone calls this season are well known, but how do the umpires see it?

Jays reminisce on 25th anniversary of Bull Durham’s release | Toronto Star
As time passed, the movie rose to iconic status alongside "Rocky" as one of the greatest sports movies ever.

MLLB AND OTHER MISSPELLED LINKS

Alex Cobb Struck In Head By Line Drive (UPDATE)
During today's Rays-Royals game, pitcher Alex Cobb was hit in the head by a line drive that came off of Eric Hosmer's bat. He left the field on a stretcher.

GM Jon Daniels on Texas Rangers’ recent swoon: ‘It’s hard to watch’ | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - SportsDayDFW
AA sez: "Welcome to the club"

‘Colllege’ World Series opens with conspicuous misspelling on dugout | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
From the blog Big League Stew. "Seven years of colllege down the drain!!!"

Photo: Dazzling lightning show interrupts Double-A Midland RockHounds game | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
From the blog Big League Stew: Don’t let the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees see that wild photo above. It might bring back too many uncomfortable memories. The photo actually comes from Thursday night when the Midland RockHounds

The MLB Weekend Top 10: Does Anyone Love the AL East? - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
Like the man at no. 10 during the Dodgers-Diamondbacks brawl, let's jump right into the fray.

TODAY IN AMBIDEXTROUS, SNACK, BAD TRADE AND BRAWLING BASEBALL HISTORY

Baseball History - June 16th - National Pastime - Baseball History
1884 Due to an inflammation in his right index finger, Larry Corcoran of the White Stockings’ (Cubs) pitches both left-handed and right-handed in a game against the Bisons. The natural right-hander hurls four innings alternating throwing arms before moving to shortstop in Chicago’s 20-9 loss at Buffalo’s Olympic Park.

1993 The 100th anniversary of Cracker Jack is celebrated with a party at Wrigley Field that includes distributing the candy-coated popcorn and peanut treat, that was introduced at the Chicago World Fair in 1893, free of charge to all of the fans attending the Cubs' game against Florida. Sailor Jack, the company's mascot, throws out the ceremonial first pitch.

2001 John Olerud becomes the twenty-first player to hit for the cycle more than once his career. Among all of the players who have accomplished hitting a single, double, triple and home run in the same game, the Mariners' first baseman has the fewest career triples with just 12 in his 13-year major league stint.

2005 After a pitch goes between his legs, Richmond Braves flycatcher Esix Snead charges the mound and pummels the Syracuse SkyChiefs hurler, David Bush. The action incites an International League brawl which will result in 40 players, a coach and a manager being fined and/or suspended, including a ten-day hiatus for Snead. (Note: ESIX SNEAD!)

Latest News

In This Article

Teams
Players