Ramon Ortiz leaves Blue Jays start with an apparent arm injury

USA TODAY Sports

In the third inning of Sunday's game against the Padres, Blue Jays starter Ramon Ortiz left the game in tears after apparently hurting his right arm during a pitch to Chase Headley. This was the second Blue Jays player this season to leave in tears: the first was Jose Reyes after hurting his ankle in a slide into second base. That's two more than I would've like to see this season.

Ortiz turned 40 just a couple weeks ago so this injury may spell the end of his career. Yes, he is a major league player who has made a lot more money than I can imagine in his career, but I still empathize with him walking off the mound, possibly for the last time in a major league uniform. He probably felt that too, slamming his glove down on the mound with his left hand.

He has been in affiliated baseball since 1996 when he was a 23 year old with the California Angels' Rookie League team. He has been designated for assignment twice this season, but according to Mike Wilner, kept on smiling and being happy still pitching in the pros.

I wish all the best to Ortiz and his recovery. This has been a very long season, and it's only June.