Poll Time: Who has surprised you most Adam Lind or Brett Cecil?

Tom Szczerbowski

I asked this on Twitter last night, but thought it would make a good topic for a quick poll.

Both Brett Cecil and Adam Lind have been almost unbelievably good, so far this season. Neither one was exactly a fan favorite before the start of the season. Which one surprises you the most?

Brett Cecil has a 1.50 ERA in 36 innings. He's allowed just 17 hits, 10 walks (2 intentional) with 40 strikeouts. The 40 strikeouts surprise me, he's never been a strikeout pitcher. In his major league career he has had strikeout rates of 6.7, 6.1, 6.3, 7.5, but this year he's at 10.0 strikeouts per 9 innings. He's only allowed 1 home run.

Batters are hitting just .140/.205/.231 against him. He has been better against LHB (.104/.116/.179) but his numbers against RHB (.185/.302/.296) aren't bad either.

And, of course, there has been the streak. He hasn't given up a hit since May 18th. A total of 38 straight plate appearances without allowing a hit. In that span he has given up 3 walks, but 2 of them were intentional. It does make me wonder why you would have him intentionally walk someone?

All Adam Lind has done is to hit at a .340/.406/.555 rate, with 9 home runs and 28 RBI.

At the start of the season, Adam was taking walks. plenty of walks. 12 in April. He didn't have a great April, hitting .244/.397/.311 and I was starting to get used to the idea that he would be a guy that got on base a lot but didn't do too much else. May was much better, .346/.409/.590, not a lot of power, 4 home runs but who needs power if you are hitting .346.

Then June come, and it has all come together. .397/.408/.661. He's even hitting lefties. .452/.452/.645, in just 31 at bats. This all from a guy who was outrighted just last year. Any team in baseball could have picked him up for the waiver fee.

So let's do a poll.