Who Are Ya: Jason Hammel

USA TODAY Sports

Jason Hammel takes on R.A. Dickey tonight as the Blue Jays try to keep the good times rolling. Hammel hasn't been very good this year pitching to a 5.24 ERA and a 5.07 FIP with ugly strikeout and walk rates combined with a fair .304 BABIP. He does have seven wins in 14 starts, which shows you how stupid that stat is.

Hammel mainly throws four-seamers, sinkers, and sliders, with the occasional changeup and curveball. His hard stuff sits mid-90's, while his slider and changeup sit in the mid-80's. His introduction of a sinker really helped Hammel have a solid 2012 campaign, but similar pitch usages in 2013 has failed to produce similar results:

7vauxni_medium

Hammel's fastball looks to be pretty hit-able (and it has been) to left handers as it's rarely thrown down in the zone, usually ending up elevated on the outer half:434628_l_fa__2013_40_14_0_20130612_medium

via www.fangraphs.com

Should Lind Play: YES

Hammel is a righty and lefties have had success against him. A mainly fastball pitcher against Adam Lind (and Colby Rasmus) is the perfect situation.

Here's my lineup:

  1. Cabrera LF
  2. Bautista RF
  3. Lind DH
  4. Encarnacion 1B
  5. Rasmus CF
  6. DeRosa 3B
  7. Thole C
  8. Izturis 2B
  9. Kawasaki SS
For Jason Hammel's "Find the Link":

Find the link between Jason Hammel and the Arizona Diamondback who took over the infield utility role after former Blue Jay John McDonald was traded.

This is a good match-up for the Blue Jays and a good opportunity to keep the streak alive.