Blue Jays 5 Red Sox 7: Just Frustrating

JP tags out Ortiz. - USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays come back from down 5-0 but then lose it.

Blue Jays 5 Red Sox 7

So that was frustrating.

Josh Johnson wasn't good, trying to nibble at the corners and not getting the calls. And not getting the help he should have from the defense. He game up 8 hits, 2 walks and 5 earned with 5 strikeouts in 3.1 innings. Though it really shouldn't have been 5 earned, cause Colby Rasmus really could have, should have, been given an error on that deep fly. Colby had to run a long way to get a glove on it but when he did, he should have closed the glove.

Josh left the game with us down 5-0.

But we came back.

In the 5th, a Maicer Izturis single and a Emilio Bonifacio walk set up RBI singles from Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion and a sac fly from Adam Lind.

In the 6th, Rajai Davis singled, stole second, went to third on a J.P. Arencibia ground out and scored on an Izturiz sac fly.

In the 7th, Edwin homered to tie the game. All looked good.

But, Neil Wagner gave up singles to Shane Victorino and Dustin Pedroia to start the inning. There is a discussion to be had about why Steve Delabar was used yesterday with us down by 3 and then Neil Wagner is used today in a tie game, but we'll do that later. Though I'll admit it pisses me off.

Brett Cecil came in to relieve Wagner (Brett pitched in yesterday's loss too) and got a strikeout before walking Mike Napoli and giving up a single to Jonny Gomes to put the Red Sox ahead again. Darren Oliver came in for Cecil and Walked Jarrod Saltalamacchia to put the Sox up by two. And that was the game.

We couldn't manage another come back. Davis did single in the 8th but J.P. hit into a double play. And we didn't manage a baserunner off Red Sox closer Andrew Miller in the 9th.

Jay of the Day is Edwin (.289 WPA).

Suckage goes to Johnson (-.227), JP (-.204, though he made a nice tag on David Ortiz at the plate), Cecil (-.128) and Wagner (-.103).

Some good news:

We had a good GameThread, 45 commenters posted 1168 comments. Pikachu led the way with 161. Great work in a losing cause.

# Commenter # Comments
2 Thorkun 85
3 MjwW 79
4 Lutherie 73