FanPost

Lawrie Should Leadoff Every Inning

20130224_tjg_sv7_328

via cdn1.sbnation.com

This morning, I came across some odd numbers in Brett Lawrie's performance so far this season. I started the search a few days back when Juan Francisco was designated for assignment by the Atlanta Braves. I was curious if his .260/.311/.438 batting line versus right handed pitching this season might benefit the Jays, even as a short-term solution.

So I thought I would take a closer look at Lawrie's performance this year to see where he has been sucking. His overall and uninspiring .209/.268/.374 was supposed to be stunted because of a rib-cage injury at the outset of the season. Analysts excused him by pointing out he had missed a month of spring training workouts and games to get his timing set at the plate. Well, prior to his most recent freak injury, he had played in 37 games and 139 at bats. To compare with Francisco, Lawrie's own average vs RH was sitting at .200/.281/.360. Over his last 10 games, MLB tells me that Lawrie hit 8-for-36, good for a paltry .222 average.

But the main reason I decided to write this at all was this: The discrepancies in his performance based on the number of outs in the inning. With none out, Brett has had 48 at bats, with one out 40 at bats, and with two out 51 at bats. So, I understand I'm not analyzing career numbers, but just a small hiccup of an anomaly I thought would be fun to point out.

0 out - .292/.333/.646
1 out - .200/.238/.275
2 out - .137/.228/.196

So is there any meaning behind this? Is there an explanation? Is he stressing too much to come up with a hit? It is only 50 at bats or so. I don't mean for anyone to read too much into such a small sample size (or to really supplant Lawrie with Juan Francisco for that matter) but just wanted to discuss the results.