Blue Jay Roster Moves: Josh Johnson and Rajai Davis Activated, Ramon Ortiz to DL

He's back - Tom Szczerbowski

Our daily roster moves post.

We knew these moves were coming. The Blue Jays announced that they are activating Josh Johnson and Rajai Davis from the DL and that Ramon Ortiz has been placed on the 15-day DL.

Johnson makes his return from triceps soreness after making 3 rehab starts, 1 with Dunedin and 2 with Buffalo. He had a 5.40 ERA in those games, with 4 walks and 6 strikeouts in 8.2 innings. Before the injury Josh had a 6.86 ERA in 4 starts. He's gotta be better than he's shown us, right?

Davis returns from an oblique strain, suffered back on May 10. He was 2 for 9 in two rehab games at Dunedin. Before the injury Davis was hitting .284/.326/.395 with 8 stolen bases in 81 at bats. I'm glad we'll have another bat on the bench for the two NL games in San Francisco. I could live the rest of my life without seeing a reliever bat when we are trying to make a comeback.

Ortiz is listed as having a right elbow strain, but there will be an MRI today. I have a feeling he will be moving from the 15-day to the 60-day DL. In 7 games he had a 6.04 ERA for the Jays.

I'm pretty sure that soon the Jays will be sending Todd Redmond back down to Buffalo, and Dustin McGowan will be coming up. They might also need to call someone up to make a start by Friday or Saturday. Right now, the rotation is Josh Johnson, R.A. Dickey, Mark Buehrle and after that, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe Rogers will get another chance. It will be a few days before Chad Jenkins can be recalled.

Latest News

In This Article

Teams